L8, OS 10.4.11 and Firewire 410

tele333

Can the M-Audio Firewire 410 be used with Logic Pro 8 running on a 2.8 GHz iMac w/ Intel Core 2 Duo OS ver 10.4.11?

M-audio's website is not clear (at least to me), they say not w/ Leopard, but their updated drivers only go to 10.4.10. I know others on this forum are using the FW410...but how?!

I just bought a new iMac, new Logic Pro 8, and new FW 410 and I can't get them to talk to each other.

I'm really new at all this...so apologies if this question is inappropriate.

Thanks.

tele

I'll respond to my own post in case anyone else has a similar situation...

I returned the M-Audio firewire 410. My software and computer would not acknowledger the fw410 interface. The M-audio website did not provide any indication as to the availability of a driver. I returned the fw410 and bought a MOTU ultralight. It booted right up...no problems...I was making music in 10 minutes. But with the fw410 I essentially wasted about 4 hours.

My advice...if you have any kind of Mac, avoid M-audio interfaces...and if you have a PC, make sure the current drivers are available before you buy.

I also have (in another computer) a m-audio delta 66 and an omni I/O...these have worked perfectly for 5 years without a single problem...that's why I wanted the fw410 for my iMac (BIG mistake!!)

My advice...if you have any kind of Mac, avoid M-audio interfaces

I have to disagree.

I have the Audiophile 192 w/ Driver 2.07 on a G5 dual 2.0 OS 10.4.11. I had difficulty getting it to connect to the AudioMidi Setup until I called M-Audio.

The trick is in the S/PDIF pane. Check the "compatibility mode" and it works like a champ.

My next challenge is setting up a 16 channel orchestra using Halion 3 in LE8. A new learning curve but I think I'll get it.

Hi all,(first post here but i come often!!)

I'll have to disagree also. It's been 3 years now that i use a M-Audio FW410 with LogicPro7 and it never failed once. Something i can't say of thePresonus and Focusrite FW interfaces i tried in the recent years. I'm under 10.4.11 using their latest drivers and everything is top notch.

Sure, it's not the best sounding interface but it enables me to use LP and ProTools MP using only one interface. Of all the interfaces i tried, it's the only one that have hot enough line level inputs that i don't need to boost the signal in LP when it's time to render my Korg midi tracks. And the MIDI thru switch is a time-saver when i want to fool around with my external synth without opening any software. Anyway, my two cents....

• 1 month later...

was using my FW410 on my G$ and Logic 6 with 'virtually' no problems.

now i'm on an Intel Mac (10.4.10) with Logic 8... and although the FW410 works (after a driver update)... its not as stable as it was before

it reboots itself a lot now producing a nice loud click for me :D

I used a FW410 as my main interface for quite a while and it wasn't the greatest sound on earth, but for the budget I had then it did the job reliably.

Lately I've used a Firewire Solo as my portable interface and it has been a disappointment. Under Leopard it's really unstable and M-Audio seem to have really dropped the ball on driver updates. Maybe some of the effort that went into the their flash new website could have gone into making their products more stable?

• 4 weeks later...

Tele333, just because M-Audio didn't have the drivers made for the latest Tiger release doesn't mean it sucks all the way. I've been avoiding updating to 10.4.11 as long as the newest FW 410 version supports only 10.4.10. I have to admit though, this time it seems like M-Audio is'nt updating their 410 drivers fast enough. But all the previous updates had come out in matter of weeks. Perhaps they're having hard times coding it for Leopard, which would be much more urgent at the moment?

Anyway, FireWire 410 has worked ok for me. The drivers aren't the top quality, but then again i have no experience of other interfaces. There may be many alternatives out there, but in this case I wouldn't tell everyone to avoid 410 just because of the lacking of latest drivers. And talking about their website, it seems quite clear to me: Click the quick link to the drivers site and you'll see a column menu with all the driver updates available.

Twister....

There is a new driver for 10.4.11 but it's no better than the last one. In fact all of the drivers, including the original one on the install cd, work with 10.4.11.

Another problem not noted is that the driver does not retain its settings between start ups. It's annoying. I spoke with Calvin Banks @ M-Audio who tells me they are on to it.

I think at this point, if you have the interface just go ahead and use it. The workaround is not a serious limitation.

Regards from sunny Stuart FL

The 1.8.2 driver for the 410 is not stable under 10.4.10-11. M-Audio recommends downgrading to 1.7.4 until a new driver is released.

I used a 410 until recently, and using the 1.7.4 driver calmed things down considerably. The unit never coexisted peacefully with other devices on its bus. By itself, though, it was pretty reliable with the 1.7.4 driver.

The only bug I occasionally encountered was having to manipulate either the virtual or the physical software return control before the 410's signal would become audible. I never could figure out the conditions under which that bug emerged, but when it did fiddling with the software I/O level was the work-around. Once you did it, things were fine until a restart.

Also note that M-Audio is emphatic about keeping the 410 off the bus until its driver software has been installed. You gotta figure they're doing that for a reason, so follow their advice. And their advice about NEVER hot-swapping FW connections is wise. It's very easy to toast the PHY chip and render a port useless.

Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Just found this site and its brilliant!!!!!!!!

Just thought i'd add to this thread as im having some problems with Logic 8 and M Audio FW 410 aswell.

Im running leopard 10.5.2 on my mac with L8 and FW410. It's running ok but my FW 410 isn't reconising my midi keyboard and it doesn't appear in the audio midi setup. Ive tried setting it up manually in Audio midi setup but still nothing so im using a midi>USB cable which works perfectly ok. M Audio have now released a beta version driver for the FW 410 to use with Leopard (1.8.3-6 i think) which ive downloaded and it all works fine apart from the problem stated above. Any advice from you guys would be great and if i find anything more with regards to FW 410 and Leopard/Logic 8 i'll post it on.

:P Richey aka Lordfader

Lordfader, do you mean you've been trying to get your keyboard to work through the MIDI inputs in FW410? In that case shouldn't you simply select that input in L8 preferences? And i'm sure you can see your FW 410 in your Audio Midi setup. Try pressing some keys and see if the input arrow starts blinking. I recently sold my 410 so i can't be sure. And i only use BUS powered midi-controllers.

• 5 months later...
Hi all,(first post here but i come often!!)

I'll have to disagree also. It's been 3 years now that i use a M-Audio FW410 with LogicPro7 and it never failed once. Something i can't say of thePresonus and Focusrite FW interfaces i tried in the recent years. I'm under 10.4.11 using their latest drivers and everything is top notch.

Sure, it's not the best sounding interface but it enables me to use LP and ProTools MP using only one interface. Of all the interfaces i tried, it's the only one that have hot enough line level inputs that i don't need to boost the signal in LP when it's time to render my Korg midi tracks. And the MIDI thru switch is a time-saver when i want to fool around with my external synth without opening any software. Anyway, my two cents....

Can anyone help me setup firewire 410 M-audio with Logic Pro 8 so that when I use my keyboard Fantom X i trigger the snds in Logic to start making new tracks? I have Leopard, and got the driver for the m-audio and everything.

Thanks, Logic Pro > Preferences >