am i ready?

roberttell

i have a g4 powerbook with 2 gigs of ram. i want to get logic 8 express and komplete 5. Im going to get a 500gig external firewire800 at 7200 rpms so that i can fit everything. Do you think Im gonna run into any issues or will I be alright? I dont have the funds to get a better computer so what should I do if not?

Well, since you asked. I also have a g4 powerbook (1.33). i bought logic 7 in july for $1000 bucks. then upgraged to logic 8... another$200. At this point, with the yet to be addressed core audio overload problems with logic 8, it is pretty much useless to me. I've pulled out one of my 24 space synth racks and a few Lexicon hardware reverbs to try to make up for the lack of internal power, but still... $1200 seems a whole lot of money to only have 6 tracks of audio.

Now, let me say this. I totally believe in Logic AND apple. I feel positive that they will address the problems soon. And in the meantime, i'm just using the time to learn the program backwards and forwards, with hopes of buying a Mac Pro in January.

When the bugs are worked out, i'm sure Logic 8 will be the most capable DAW on the market. And i'm not about to jump ship. So my suggestion to you, especially if you can't afford more computer power, is to look for an earlier version of logic that is more compatible with the capabilities of your g4 powerbook.

Hope things work out. Keep us posted.

syncsailor

or temporarily ..."sunksailor"

the 15" g4 powerbook...yes...but what processor?????

komplete is not the wrong direction per se, but i think that dr.frank is right when he recommends upgrading your computer first and getting to grips with logic 8....a basic macbook will give you a huge gain in power for not much more than the asking price of komplete

syncsailor has experienced frustration with using a computer at the lower end of the 'minimum requirements' and you will too.....logic has become quite the power consumer of late and that's before you even start with the native instruments bundle (search the applestore forums for how 'hungry' the latest kontakt is)

you could probably sell your powerbook and if you are able to stretch to the full logic, you will have a hugely powerful tool with which to learn your chops.....and the packaged instruments are fantastic....there isn't much that can't be done inside the box.......

imho komplete at this stage would just be overload....literally

that would be a single core, non-intel 1.5 then

as i said before....it will be an extremely frustrating experience

maybe try and get a copy of L7.....others may confirm (or not) that you should be able to run it....read syncsailor.....L7 is still a great prog, indeed, some still see it as better than L8

however, if it does work

1) get to know the freeze function....or bounce to audio to free up valuable resources

2) learn the importance of 'bussing effects'....to avoid unnecessary plug-in instances

3) experiment with buffer settings....higher to mix, lower when recording

4) record audio to an external drive

5) keep your internal drive clean and allow a decent amount of free space to remain free...a free downloadable program like onyx should help with the computer housekeeping

6) when working with logic don't have any other programs or unnecessary processes running in the background (onyx will allow you to disable your widgets)...maybe restart before using logic

7) search the board for how users keep their energy settings and screensavers etc

basically, if you are gonna stick with the powerbook, you need to run a tight ship......and don't even consider komplete

Edited by el-bo

Everything el-bo said. 8) 'sall good advice.

And I had a 1.4-ish GHz iBook awhile back, and I used Logic Express 7 with it to reasonable success, doing all of the things our aforementioned, currently unemployed, internet-addicted, manual-reading friend just listed off to boost performance. Are you going to get anywhere near the track counts on your Powerbook that you would with Logic 8 on a MacBook Pro or even a new MacBook? No. But if you're recording rock band demos, working mostly with audio (not too many software instruments), etc. it should work fine for you.

Of course, version 7 of Logic cost quite a bit more -- unless you can get it from someone who has it already, or an academic copy or something...

I don't know what your money situation is like, or your ultimate needs. But you might consider making now your computer upgrade time. New Mac Minis and MacBooks are really cheap, and combined with the price drop of Logic 8/Studio (just $499, as opposed to Logic 7's $999), and not getting NI Komplete 5 (yet, anyway), you could have Logic Studio and a new MacBook for the same or less than you would have paid for Logic Pro 7 and Komplete 4.

Which is pretty sweet. :)

Well, since you asked. I also have a g4 powerbook (1.33). i bought logic 7 in july for $1000 bucks. then upgraged to logic 8... another$200. At this point, with the yet to be addressed core audio overload problems with logic 8, it is pretty much useless to me. I've pulled out one of my 24 space synth racks and a few Lexicon hardware reverbs to try to make up for the lack of internal power, but still... $1200 seems a whole lot of money to only have 6 tracks of audio.

Hope things work out. Keep us posted.

syncsailor

or temporarily ..."sunksailor"

Just thought I would mention that the only core audio problem with 8 that I have heard of is one where it gives you the error once the first time you hit play then it goes away. So your problem with only getting 6 tracks of audio sounds like it could have another cause. If you listed your setup I bet we could get that fixed.

yeah...internet addicted wtf!! didn't see that coming....

it's a combination of unemployment, being on the tail end of a 4-week illness, and having just left left a meditation retreat (where i've been for the last 5 months)....oh and living in a new country, where i am slightly lacking in the non-virtual type of friend due to slightly lacking in the spoken spanish department

anyways...'sall good

back to the op....i was assuming he was going down the virutal instrument route because of lusting after komplete......let us see how this one pans out

..if you really can't afford a new computer spare a thought for how it was a few years ago. I've made records using logic synth plugins, no freeze facility and a single processor G4 400mhz! Compared to that what you have is a dream machine.

You just need to learn about using samples, what plugins use the most power and how to freeze and bounce when needed.

Otherwise, I agree with everyone else here, don't bother getting Komplete and upgrade your computer first. The logic synths are quite decent and you can always get other plugins for cheap that won't kill your CPU like ReFX vanguard, Novation V-station etc.

yup - for the price of Komplete 5 (which is excellent IMO), you could buy a MacBook (with 2 or 3 Gb RAM). i use a MacBook with 2GB RAM and a 250Gb disc and I can do a LOT with it.

Then learn how to use the many plug-ins in LP8 while saving for Komplete 5. But in your situation I think the computer is more important than extra plug-ins.

woo-hoo

get back to us if you need help

there are some compromises to be made when using the macbook (not pro), but you really will get a lot out of it......

there are a lot of things that you can do with your system to help propel things along.....and certain working practices within logic to help

there is more.....when you're ready.....standard practices....not meant to scare you off...just things to help you squeeze out all of the juice

I think that's a wise decision, Robert.

and, of course, you can find some worthy young 'un somewhere (or, in my case, my dad) who needs a good internet/email/WORD machine. Or to just get started doing some sequencing. Your G4 is still a good machine for a lot of things! I gave my dad my 867 G4 Powerbook when I bought my new MacBook Pro.

don't forget to stash $50 for David's Logic book :)

ok 2 more questions.

first...Im gonna be using logic as a sequencer with virtual instruments for the most part so is it worth spending the extra money for pro or should i just get express?

second...Would guys know the best way to try to sell my powerbook. Is there some kind of website geared towards Mac resales?

Thanks again for all your help.

The Dolphins Finally won a game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damn..we're all really great at spending YOUR money, eh???

:)

yup..get the full version of Logic if you've got the dough.

As far as selling the mac...if you haven't bought your new one yet...give my buddy Gary Mead a call. Tell him I said hi.

http://www.powermax.com

http://www.powermax.com./pages/uptrade

I've been doing business with him for 10 years, and highly recommend PowerMax.com.

They do buy older machines. You might not get as much for it as you would on eBay/Craigslist, etc...but, he'll give you a fair deal on the new machine, for sure.

Edited by dkgross

Roberttell,

I may be a little late in my reply, as I've been away from the forums for a few days, but I have the very last version of the Powerbook G4 15" (the late 2005 model before the began selling MacBook pros) and it runs Logic 8 fine. Specs: single core, 1.67ghz, 2 gigs DDR2 ram--and I record and store all my content and samples on a 500G Maxtor Firewire drive. I started with Logic 7 and migrated to 8 and yes, there were hiccups and crashes. it took me a few months to get the settings and workflow optimized to get solid performance on Logic 7 (due primarily to the limited processing power) but migrating to Logic 8 has worked flawlessly.

Of course, I had to get used to MANY of the techniques that el-bo mentioned in his post to keep things smooth.

Additionally, while I don't have Komplete, I use NI Battery, Absynth and Massive. I've found them to be reliable on my Powerbook/Logic 8 rig, but in some cases (especially Battery) its a little buggy. I've had to find a few workarounds, which aren't too annoying.

If you do get a MacBook pro, you'll certainly get better performance. I'll be going that route soon when the finances get in order (looking used to using this G4 as a Node). But for the better part of three years my G4 has been a solid workhorse in my semi-pro home studio.

Lastly, spend the extra money and get Logic Studio instead of Express. if you are solely using soft instruments, there is a much greater level of content and functionality in Logic Studio that Express just won't have.

Just my 2 cents.

i'll have a go....i'm not the most experienced with this, but seeing as christmas has come early for the logic world, you're unlikely to get squat from anyone at the moment

transport bar on....transport bar.....off........transport bar, on.....etc :)

anyhow....

logic is able to harness power from other computers (apparently not just apples)......this means that you can gain extra power when using logic plug-ins from these external 'NODES'

so...if you were loaded and didn't need to sell your old 'puter, you could use it to give the new macbook some ooomph !