Why does Logic create blank Apple Loops? Help.

flashelk

Has anybody else had problems with Logic creating blank Apple Loops files?

Here's what I'm doing:

1. Starting with an empty Project, I import an AIF of a 4 measure beat. I want to turn this into an Apple Loop so it can be used at other tempos.

2. Using the 'Adjust Tempo using Region Length and Locators' I set the Projects tempo to perfectly match the loop.

3. With the audio region highlighted I select Region>Add to Apple Loops Library. Here I name it, select Loop button and adjust the Scale, Genre and Descriptors to to best describe this 4 measure drum loop. And finally hit Create.

4. A progress Bar appears - 'Adding Loops to Library.' It places the file in /Library/Audio/Apple Loops/User Loops/SingleFiles.

But the resulting file is blank. Empty. I verify this by opening the file in Soundtrack Pro. Logic has just created an Apple Loop that doesn't have any audio.

So, I try another way (same first 2 steps):

1. Starting with an empty Project, I import an AIF of a 4 measure beat. I want to turn this into an Apple Loop so it can be used at other tempos.

2. Using the 'Adjust Tempo using Region Length and Locators' I set the Projects tempo to perfectly match the loop.

3. With the audio region highlighted, THIS time I select Audio>Open in Apple Loops Utility, which opens the separate ALU application. I select Looping as the File Type and adjust the various descriptors. Hit Save.

This converts the audio file to an audible Apple Loop, but does not add it to the Apple Loop Library. Meaning, the original AIF on my desktop is now an Apple Loop, it does not create a NEW file in my Apple Loop library. Ii must manually drag it to the library. Ultimately, this method works.

But what I am here to ask is why, using the first method of selecting Region>Add to Apple Loops Library, why does Logic create a blank file?

i'm so glad you wrote this

i have been consumatley frustrated by this

in my situation - i can get my 'first' loop that i'm converting to work ( import it, add the descriptors..etc save)

works fine

then i go to do the second loop, go through the process - and shazam - comes up BLANK

i have the LP7 video with the Mr Pearl (sp) who goes through the process and have re-reviewed his method

and still - my second attempt comes up blank

maybe david or mr. hoerlick cvan enlighten us

let me add - that the last step in the process of converting a loop you're converting - to an apple loop, is to click on the loop after you've done all the previous steps

you need to click on it, and it then shortens

it's this clicking step that you simply see the audio file disappear before your eyes, the region stays there - but the audio is goooone

that's when new 4 letter words come out of my mouth

I've figured out... though bebop, this may not help your situation.

For me, I have to switch the output of the track the region is on. For some reason if my output is set to anything besides MAIN 1-2 on my MOTU 828, Logic creates a silent Apple Loop. Changing my output from 3-4 to 1-2 does the trick. Lame, but this is how it works.

This pertains to creating the Apple Loop inside of Logic, not using Apple Loops Utility.