30" monitor

Yesterday I was in the Micro Center shopping for two 30"monitors and the guy told me to wait a few weeks because the Dell is coming with a new 30"LCD that is suppose to be cheeper than the Apple cinema and maybe even better.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000240070831/

In any case, he said that it should bring the price of the Apple 30" down a bit.

What say you?

Apple and Dell both get their 20" wide-screen LCD's from the same manufacturer. There was an online article comparing the two about 6 months ago - I think it was pc mag or barefeats or something like that.

At least at the time the Apple 30" started shipping, their LCD supplier (I think Samsung or Sharp) was the only source for this size and application. I think it's a safe bet to assume that once again that both Dell and Apple will utilize the same LCD's in their 30" monitors. I can't wait to find out Dells price point on this one.

Well the good thing about Dell is that they always have some sort of sale or coupons thing going on, and you can usually buy their monitors at a reduced price within a few weeks of them being available to purchase.

So if Dell prices that new monitor at $1,899, we should be able to buy it for $1,500 or so within a few weeks! Now that would be a sweet deal.

I need two monitors side by side (too many plugs). Originally thought about two 23 or 24". Horizontally 1920 would be perfect but 1200 verticals will not do, especially after experiencing Logic on 30" Apple cinema in my friend's studio. Yesterday I almost bought them, and then this guy in M.C. talked me out of it - waiting is pain. The Dell suppose to be out this month, but there is no word on the Dell site about it. I'm still starring at Sony E500. I would love to start re-doing all of my screen sets for the new arena.

• 3 months later...
Actually, I Did get those 30" Dells in January. I tried them for a week and back they went! The backlight was horribly uneven (when I opened a score window throughout the whole display, it looked like someone was pointing a flashlight at the middle of the monitor)and no controls for Mac. Stay away! Nowhere near their 20" or 24" displays! And the Dell support?!? :roll: .... No more! I'm sorry to see what's happening to this (used to be) a great company!