Sine Wave - Fat Kick Trigger Video tutorial

Eric Wikman

Hi Deep,

Nice video. Since you asked for comments, I thought I'd . . .comment!

You're using an expander before the gate as your principle means of shaping the tone's envelope. I'd suggest that you try just using the gate as it provides a much higher degree of control over the envelope shape. The expander lacks Hold, Hysteresis and sidechain filters, all of which are really useful in getting the envelope tweaked in perfectly. The "Hold" feaure in particular is what really makes those hip hop kicks hang . . in . . there . . . . Of course, that negates the hysteresis controls.

Adding an expander in after the gate is useful if you want to further modify the envelope, eg add a little spike to it, etc.

My two cents/pence!

Hi Deep,

Nice video. Since you asked for comments, I thought I'd . . .comment!

You're using an expander before the gate as your principle means of shaping the tone's envelope. I'd suggest that you try just using the gate as it provides a much higher degree of control over the envelope shape. The expander lacks Hold, Hysteresis and sidechain filters, all of which are really useful in getting the envelope tweaked in perfectly. The "Hold" feaure in particular is what really makes those hip hop kicks hang . . in . . there . . . . Of course, that negates the hysteresis controls.

Adding an expander in after the gate is useful if you want to further modify the envelope, eg add a little spike to it, etc.

My two cents/pence!

thanks Fader,

I learned this from a friend who used only an Expander in Protools for this effect.

I found I needed a gate after, so as to completely shut down any sinewave signal.

I will def try out what you suggest here.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Can I make a request, Eric?

Show us how to load IR's into Space Designer, or ways to get the best results from Space Designer.

I have a little experience with this plugin: mostly Guitar Cab IR's, but I have a buddy who is new to this.... and I can not give him a visual on how it's done. But I am sure there would be others who find this helpful as well.

Thanks a million for what you have done!

Take care.