Latency Problems

jody61

Is there anyway to correction latency problem?

Also:

Is performance better coming from an interface i.e. MBox or just out of the audio jack?

and finally:

has any one use the apple script trick? The one that sets the application priority to increase performance.

here is the link. (it's supposed to work in logic)

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=16909&highlight=core+overloads

Apple power book g4. 1.33ghz, 1.5 gig of ram

Also:

Is performance better coming from an interface i.e. MBox or just out of the audio jack?

The latency is related to the audio setting. Select a smaller buffer size (if your computer can handle it) will fix the latency.

and finally:

has any one use the apple script trick? The one that sets the application priority to increase performance.

The script does not do anything to the sound and MIDI, because it does not affect the performance of real time code in any way.

• 11 months later...

Changing the buffer size worked for me playing my old Stratocaster into my MacBook Pro : I went to MainStage Preferences Audio/MIDI tab and changed the I/O Buffer Size from the default 128 to 64 and the disgustingly noticeable ~1/4 second delay between my strum and hearing it out of the MacBook went to unnoticeable. Yahoo!!

Before that turning off Airport and setting the Energy Saver Prefs performance from Normal to Better Performance didn't help, though those are recommended steps when using MainStage I'm sure.

I'm using the old USB iMic for audio in from my guitar by the way, just to test MainStage for guitar viability - it is now viable! Don't know if iMic will yield optimum tone or not since I'm just listening through headphones (through my MacBook Pro 2006's (10.4.11, 2GB, 2.16 GHz Core Duo) headphone out jack right now. Also I'm thinking it's better to just use the iMac to get data into the MacBook and use the MacBook's audio out rather than using the iMic for an audio out because it doubles the data the iMic needs to handle.

In a live setup you can not correct or compensate latency.

The only way is keep the latency as low as possible is to set the latency (buffer size) of the audio interface to a low value. But I would recommend to keep it is _high_ as possible for you - a low latency increases the risk of drop outs and overloads. So set it to the highest value, that works for you.

The only other factor are certain plugins with a high latency. That latency can not be compensated. Avoid these plugins or accept the latency.

• 1 month later...