So I want to love Logic. Really. Please.

amputease

Hi Spectacle..Here;s the way it works..It does not work like you mentioned about space bar then return..That does not wake a software intrument..Period..Unless perhaps it is being triggered from the first point in the arrange,in theory,cause in reality it ain't the case...Sure wish it was that simple..

So my work around is to select each channel then trigger via the keyboard (midi)...This is not ideal..Nor does it erradicate the way that Logic just does what it wants at any given time...I'm open to options,,, but there appears there are no hard ,,fast and true ones for us that suffer.....And again Apple nor Logic Team are talking...WTF is up with that>?????? Honestly why are they not saying anything AT ALL.....??????....JON

It's true: it shouldn't really matter what interface you use to a degree. But the Toneport is a soundcard, so you can see the advantages of using a better one than the iMac comes with.

I agree, however what i was inferring in my post was that, assuming the imac has a better onboard sound card than a macbook then it shouldn't make any difference performance wise. It should just work fine with the onboard sound card. My Alesis multimix is an 8 channel firewire interface & breakout box but doesn't provide any performance gains.

Also someone mentioned that writing to an external drive is essential, i'd agree that it's preferable, esp when doing multitrack sessions, however an internal 7200rpm drive should be fine, even though the program and audio data share the same drive, however as i said, it shouldn't be essential to get glitch-free recording or playback.

i think what spectacle may do (sorry if not) is the same as a practice i've got used to......learned from my logic 7 days :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

LOGIC 7 HAD OVERLOADS?????? :shock:

anyways...turn down the volume on the soundcard press play...then double click or space at any points in the arrangement where new software instrument activity occurs..the last 2 minutes of a tune when you suddenly introduce 50 esx instruments mapped as an orchestra would be an obvious example....blowing the cobwebs is a good analogy...then return..turn up the volume and play

one little tip is to turn off the overload message notificaton in the prefs...it won't cure the overloads, but it gets rid of an annoying message constantly telling you something that you already knew :)

oh, and john.........i reckon the reason that apple is not responding is because they aren't getting the overloads....i believe that the computers that they test logic on are running very clean installs, very good os practices and are only being used for the purpose of running logic

they would maybe then assume that it works good (save for the initial cache problem for vi's), and come to the conclusion that it's user fault....

i think that once they work out the problems with cold-starting projects many users will never see them....but i bet loads of users still will

i really have sympathy, and 3 tracks with no fx shouldn't make a zx81 break a sweat......the apple genius idea is a good one...maybe your problem is hardware related. it's not unknown for ram to malfunction...enlisting the help of someone right in front of you would probably help........you could also tell us about your mac specs, how you use your os (even using software enhancers may cause conflicts

you say you did a clean install....is that the os also......if not, and if you can brave it......clone your drive, backup all files to external drive, check they work and even archive projects to dvd......then clean install os x, don't run anything.......install logic and then see how you go....

if it were me i would probably format the internal drive with a zero-pass erase, before reinstalling anything....just to be sure

if you need any help on how to do any of the above, i (and others i'm sure), will be happy to help...

good luck

Just want to add to this, some people are suggesting you go all out and buy a new interface etc.

My setup is a core 2 duo 2Ghz macbook w/ 2gb RAM & leopard, lower specs than your machine, i have an Alesis multimix 8 firewire, however sometime i just run straight from the headphone out to the phono input of the desk, I don't get any issues with this setup, when when playing tracks from the hdd (upgraded to a 7200rpm 100gb), i'm currently working on a 30+ track song, all audio no midi and not getting any issues with latency etc.

Please bear this in mind before going out any buying new gear, it may very well be unnecessary, hove you considered going to a local apple store and speaking to someone at the Genius bar?

Good Luck

I also have a 2ghz macbook with 1.5GB RAM that I try running logic on with similar core overload messages and crashes.

I will be making a visit to the genius bar since there is large particle stuck behind my imac glass so I'll definitely chat 'em up when there. I just got off the phone with the logic support people... I feel very mixed... they had me open the 30track demo song and it played fine (no midi). The rep told me that whatever problems I'm having are 'project specific' which I found frustrating, since ALL projects I've worked on have been less than 10 tracks and only utilized apple plugins and apple instruments. We ended with me agreeing to open a new project and rework the song, which is obviosly not going to solve this problem, since it occurs in every project I have started thus far. I'm going

Just a point of clarification:

I was telling the person on here who doesn't actually use an audio interface at all that he should get one. I was not telling someone with an interface to upgrade to a better one.

And I agree wholeheartedly about the buffers and various settings. I think that is a really important place to look and tweak. At the end of the day, it may very well be some random note-taking program, some disk-cleaning utility, or some game that was installed from version tracker or something but never gets used that is causing the trouble.

It is very clear, however, that if someone is only able to play three tracks at most, there is something wrong with his particular system set-up. Even without an interface and without an external drive, dozens of tracks should be possible, not two or three. My old iBook G4 single processor could handle that in Logic 7, and my experience has been that Logic 8 is more CPU and resource efficient (as well as more stable) than Logic 7 was (as fine a program as that was).

So let's keep talking this through. I think there are two of you on this thread that are really looking for help. Maybe comparing system info, apps installed, buffer settings, etc. with those who are sailing along smoothly will help pinpoint the specific issue(s) so we can help solve them.