What do you think of this drum sound?

woodenboy

good stuff

great playing...both of ya....really like when the piano/pad chord sequence when it 1st comes in

great drummer, bad sound (to my taste)...is it v-drum built in sound????

would love to hear it on a real acoustic kit or at least triggering a top dum samples package....

trying to put my finger on it

the hi-hat and snare don't sound 'right'.....this is of course just my opinion

it feels overquantized and i think the hits seem to lack dynamic variation....i do not believe this is a peformance issue, as he's obviously a very accomplished player....

maybe the v-drums themselves don't trigger enough velocity levels...it's this rigidity that make it sound like a drum machine

please don't take this as an artistic critique, i really dig the tune....

the more i hear it, the more i feel the problem is with the hats

i would mix the drums differently but seeing as it's to serve as a drum demo, drums really have to be this prominent

maybe dig into the matrix, screw with the timing and vary some velocities of the hits...see if this helps

of course, this is all irrelevant if you (and more importantly) he are happy with it

Besides just the Virgil Donati vibe noted above, I'm also sensing that someone is a Dream Theater fan? This is pure "Under a Glass Moon" but I'm still loving it. As stated above, props to the guitar solo!

With regards to the drum sound: I agree that the hi-hats sound a bit odd. This is extremely obvious around 1:30 when it is just the hats keeping time. Maybe get a bit more air in the hats with a new hat sound? I don't know...

Also, the VDRUMS aren't picking up a lot of the intricacies of what this musician is playing, which does make it sound very robotic, a la Virgil Donati - something that (as a college drummer myself) I know colleges don't want to hear. Can you up the sensitivity to better portray the ghosted figures of what he is playing?

Poor guy - he really is a talented drummer, but it's just hard to sound good on an electric kit. There is nothing wrong with your mixing nor his playing; technology just hasn't caught up with acoustic drums yet.

Overall, this is still an impressive performance by both the drummer and (especially) yourself. The things drummers listen for when they hear electric drums changes drastically from their acoustic counterparts, so the judges of the music school will understand the quandary of electric drums.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!!!!!

funny..the Kick is what bugs me the most...really thin...I think bussing the entire drum to a nice tight room in Space Designer would help. And yeah, I'd really look into the Velocity Layers of the kit and the v-Drum output to get more dynamics. I've heard BFD sound incredibly dynamic.

but the performaces all the way around are pretty damn good!!!

Firstly - thanks everyone for your comments, and for taking the time to listen! I agree with everything you've all said, actually.

I've tried another mix which you should be able to see at http://www.woodenboy.co.uk/music - it's called drumnbass2.mp3 (I've left the earlier one there too for a bit of comparison). I changed the snare in BFD to something with a little less of a CRACK, messed around with the velocities a bit and lowered the kick drum level as well as the whole drum level in the mix.

Hopefully I'm on the way to some improvement.... :?:

sounds much 'nicer' to my ears

snare sound is better, kick sits better and the hats will have to do.....i would maybe change the sound of those still

however it must be taken into account that your mate is inspired by this virgil guy (whoever he is) and that this maybe the sound that he uses

you've also got rid of that hollow sound that emphasises the kick drum....i think it's a good choice.....but who knows

if it were for a commercially produced album and i was paying, i'd get him on a real kit in a good studio, but i can see her how this offers much more ease in both recording and mixing....also a previous poster mentioned that the judges will be familiar with the characteristics of a v-kit and adjust accordingly

i think the most important thing here is which one your mate prefers....which one of these mixes he feels shows him and his talent in the best light....after all this is the reason for you doing it in the 1st place....

keep us up to date on this....it is clear from this that he is a great player...he would probably 'get in' if he played on pots and pans

Hey, just listened to the track. Nice Work! Sounds like there is a time signature change around 0:41, but I couldn't figure it out. So I went ahead and transcribed all the drums from 0:41 to 0:53. Looks like hes playing in 15/8 ? Gave me a headache trying to write it out. Sounds great though!