using mainstage live with midi keyboard and live vocals.

backslash

We've been using Mainstage for live shows with an axiom 88key midi keyboard with great success. We're now thinking about using it for vocals as well. Here's how we plan to do it. Has anyone here used Mainstage for vocals in a live situation? Any things to look out for? What preamps we're used, etc. (we're planning to use a firebox as out preamp for the vocals). Any suggestions would be great.

-B

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't actually gig'd with vocals, but I did a lot of experimentation. I noticed that Space Designer sounded great with vocals but adds a lot of CPU load (according to the meter).

As long as you make sure you design the effects/keyboard sounds so that they don't over load the processor, you should be in fine shape.

One tip, if you are switching patches to changes keyboard sounds, all you have to do is duplicate one patch which contains your vocal channel strip and then swap out the keyboard sound. When you switch between two or more patches created this way, your voice will not be interrupted and the keyboard switching will work as advertised (sustained notes from the last patch is still heard until you release sustain pedal or keyboard notes).

Anyhow, works well.

One last thing. I experimented with changing the effects on the vocal. During the chorus, I was able to change the keyboard sound and the treatments on my voice all at the same time. (added a bit of slow phaser to my voice during the chorus).