Rock Track- First Logic mix

PMcC

Hey,

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment, I appreciate it.

I played a Strat straight into a Deluxe Reverb, which was on 10 for this track,.. yikes!

That rotary sound in the middle is the logic rotor plug,.. I love the plugins in Logic man.

The drums, I used BFD with the Andy johns samples,

Bass was Trilogy, Rhodes was Scarbee.

Thats pretty much it.

Thanks again

Best-

PMcC.

Really good tune. Good writing & great chops.

Nice mix, too.

There is only one thing I would like to criticize: although the drums sound really good, they have a tthin sound about them. Can't really explain it.

Other than that - it sounds really good.

Thanks for letting us hear it.

Take care.

Hi

I feel BFD is the best library out there. 2.0 rocks. I love the control it gives me and the new 55 gigs of sounds are great. I too have the Andy john samples and love them as well. Do you have the Baressi Evil drums? I am hesitant because of the 70 gigs of space you need. Not sure if it's worth it.

Have a good one

Hey Peter,

Nice tune! I think there's a little "Jimi" influence in you, eh?

I love all the sounds. But, and I mean no offense or disrespect by this, it sounds like it's mixed by the guitar player. This aspect could really use a rescue. If you choose to develop this song further and finish it up and you have someone available who is well trained in mixing, you may want to let them have a crack at it. Could do wonders for this song.

Again, I don't mean to be anything but constructively critical. I just believe that a good song deserves a good mix!

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it, chico, I just received the Evil pack, they sound surprisingly versatile.

I think BFD 2 is great but find it unusable with Logic with 8. it crashes L8 every 10 minutes, so I've given up on it for now.

I also have DFH CV that I like as well.

Fader 8,.. it sure was mixed by a guitarist,.LOL!

since the instrumentation is real bare-Gtr, Bass, Drums, Keys.

And the gtr is the main inst. I'm not sure how the mix should/could be different?

I think the drums are real loud,. what is it that should be different IYO?

Thanks again for the input,

Best-

PMcC

since the instrumentation is real bare-Gtr, Bass, Drums, Keys.

And the gtr is the main inst. I'm not sure how the mix should/could be different?

That's a long discussion. Frankly, it'd be less work for me to mix the tune for you than try to explain how. But there is something you can do to get started. That kit isn't too loud, it's just too bright in the skins. Did you suck the bottom out of the kick and toms with eq or is that how the samples sound. The attacks are nice, but the drums have no body. Can you do some round robin on that snare sample in BFD? That sound gets a bit repetitive in certain passages, making it very obvious it's a sampled kit.

In general, the mix lacks focus. The high level and hard panning of the guitar is distracting. None of the instruments have any width and what little there is gets killed by where the guitar sits. In this ensemble, I'd bet you could drop that guitar 10dB and still hear it perfectly clearly. Aside from the symmetry issues, the musicality of the bass and keys could be significantly enhanced with some riding and dynamics trickery, and the whole kick/bass relationship needs work. While the kit verb sounds cool, nothing else in the mix sounds like it's even close to being in that space. There's a bunch more big and little things that could help make this more consistent with the genre, but in general everything needs to be touched from a level, position, space, tonality and dynamics standpoint.

The good news is that the arrangement is good and you don't have a bunch of stuff fighting each other. Way ahead on that front. Please don't think I'm just trying to bombard it with negativity. The way I learned best over the years was to have people tear my s#!+ apart! You did post this in this forum as opposed to the listening forum, so I can only presume this is the kind of feedback you're looking for.