tips on arrangement/mix

el-bo

just found out today how to upload stuff, so i thought i'd give it a go

this tune was the last thing i wrote in logic 7, and is based around the main guitar that i sampled from a friends bands cd....i then built the tune around it

haven't heard it for a while...it's a bit of a departure from what i'm trying to achieve at the moment....

HOWEVER

i think there may be some mileage in it...i really like the sections, just not sure about how they flow together

and in terms of the mix....i only have headphones and a pc-desktop style 2.1 setup to mix with.....my monitoring condition is far from ideal, and without the possibility of changing it, i would be interested on some pointers as to how to mix this...i have lost all objectivity with it and what to make the sound more focused and less harsh, while keeping the drive/energy

OR

just tell me if you like it or not

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/43958/man-i-kerr-mp3.html

please be patient...it takes approx 16 seconds for the download option to appear

:D

Just started listening. Pretty cool intro.

Yeah, a lot of these upload sites suck, making you wait before the download starts. I've seen some people using a site, I think it's soundclick.com or something like that. Kind of a jumbled page design but it definitely works!

Aww man, I got a riff going in my head that would be a perfect next part, reall balls out metal crunchy, and slow.

This is pretty cool. Would love to be a fly on the wall and see how you do this stuff. I don't have a keyboard, yet, so I can't do anything like this. but I'll get one eventually. I think a killer set of studio monitors is a more pressing issue if I wana be able to mix this CD when I'm done recording it.

Hmm, I might have to fool with this, I dig it a lot!!!!!!!!

" I don't have a keyboard, yet"

get one...something cheap, just to get the sounds in.....i'm using a 3-octave korg with mini keys at the moment...far from ideal, but it fits in my travel bag

i am also primarily a guitarist, and have no formal keyboard training, but i urge you to experiment....they really add another dimension to guitar tracks.....pads are great as sound beds for lead work and doubling up lead lines with screaming synth sounds is way cool

in terms of mucking around with the tune...go for it....maybe i could find a way of uploading the audio files, if you were interested in re-arranging to suit your inspiration......

you'll probably dig my guitar comps more....i'm no shredder...just on a little spanish at the moment.....but i have also just started to record stuff for an instrumental album........and though i play most of the beats by hand with an mpd 16, i have taken inspiration from you, and i'm now programming different fills and articulations in the piano roll

laterz :D

Heya El Bo,

I'd love to hear some of your guitar stuff. Beware though, though I never rip anyone off, sometimes things I hear inspire new ideas in my head. Heck, that whole song, The Swami, came about from hearing the loop that's now in the intro. I heard that and it triggered the song. I like when if happens like that!!!!!!!! it's weird too, I never know where a source of inspiration comes from, it just happens.

Ya never know, it might happen quick. For instance, I began Ruth around 10:30 a.m. on Sunday. By 6 Monday evening it was posted. And that's with both a friend's birthday bash AND the Super Bowl that I had to attend. Well, i didn't attend the game, but you know what I mean. The way it was flowing, would've been done Sunday if I didn't have to quit to do the other stuff. So in the words of a somewhat wise man....errr....ok, he's a dumb ass, but this is wisdom, Git 'Er Dunnn!

I really dig the ambient vibe going on throughout this tune. Takes skill.

I have tried to pull of some material like this before - but failed miserably!!

I really dig the beats in the back of the song (the beats that are going throughout).

What kit did you use for that?

I think this is an over-all kewl tune. I am glad you posted it.

Thanks for sharing with us!

Hi

Really Dig it. It almost reminds me of the Fantomas song Erpresser Schieben Nicht. I say almost because your song is about an hour and ten minutes shorter than theirs. :lol: I like how it conveys an atmosphere. I think that is one of the hardest things to do in music but you achieve it here. Good work.

Have a good one

PS Just got to the ending and love the outro

working with logic just seems to throw these 'atmospheric' options at me

it is the most inherantly creative/inspirational daw i've used (used to love cubase, then hated protools)...

apart from a few instances of camelphatt and one of camelspace, all the fx plugs are from logic

can you comment on how it's mixed maybe...it's still quite 'raw' in the output stage...no limiting or warming.......and though my grado's are sweet headphones, i still have no idea how it sounds on better monitoring setups

Hi

I myself don't have access to my "better" speakers and am left with my computers speaker for now. :cry: I do know them pretty well though and can gauge pretty good at how songs will sound from them.(To an extent) I will say this, in terms of "warmth" it already sounds pretty damn "warm" to me. That's one of the reasons I LOVE logic. It's a very musical daw. It almost adds warmth by itself. So to my ears it already has that "musical" aspect. The other thing I can comment on now is the loudness. You can definitely get a few more db out of it but I wouldn't go too crazy. It's really easy to overdo it. I unfortunately learned that the hard way. I can't even listen to a lot of my old stuff,literally, because I screwed up the mastering with too much EQ and way too much limiting. It actually hurts my ears!!! It's just recently that I've learned the less is more approach to mastering. That being said have you tried the multipressor. It's friggin awesome. Not really for level purposes but for just balancing out a mix. To me it really is THE essential plug in when I master.It's just a matter of using your ears as a guide. From what I can hear now it sounds pretty sweet. I guess we both really need to get some better speakers for now though. :D

Have a good one

Hey El-bo,the compression needs more knee!

Arf arf!

I just had a listen on through my speakers but it's 4:30 ish am,so it wasn't full welly.

Sounds pretty well balanced at low level.

The rhythmic guitar figure is a bit high level-wise,but you said that yourself,methinks.

Maybe a different progression halfway through would work,but maybe I'm old-fashioned.

Or a more distinct line over the top by way of a different melodic device.

(That's just my instinct for what it's worth).

Like the way the last section suddenly changes it all,as it were.

The drums at the end might be better building more gradually,or not,as the case may be.

Although it'd be hard undoing all that hard work! :wink: :oops:

Great vibe/atmos.

Might sneakily import it into Logic and have a play... :D

Have to have another listen later when it's a more normal time of day,but I might be busy as it's my son's 18th today.

He wants a new amp/speaker combo for his bass.

Post back later.

8)

Buenos madrugada!

cheers guys

yeah chico, i know what you mean about the mastering and level...however, this is the 2nd version........you should have heard the 1st....

as i mentioned in the first post, i haven't listened to it in a while....i actually did the whole thing in a day, in a hotel room...and to raise the levels, i slammed it using one of logics mastering strip settings on out 1-2....this added 5 plugs to the mix, and after a day listening in the cans, my ears had been dulled enough for the plugs to make it good and bright.....

3 months on i ilisten in the same headphones and it nearly makes my ears bleed..i removed all the shite on the output and remixed it a little....it needs some work done on levels, but i'm definately convinced by the 'just turn it up' argument.....mastering is a process best done by someone better qualified, but maybe i'll look into the multipressor again for the moment

thanks for your comments cloggy...you're right...there's something missing, melodically....now i've re-opened the project, i may try to find out what it is

by all means, import into logic and do what you wan't with it....the creative perspective of others is always welcome

tommieboy...welcome to logic....you're gonna love it

any tips you need, ask in this forum........

It's a cool track ... I really like it. My 1 year old son has 2-3 electronic toys goin' on in the back ground, so I wouldn't begin to comment on the mix (he says that the bass needs to come up though). If i can make some time a bit later I'll try to have a proper listen.

i have a question on what technique you used at 4:15is in the song. that instrumental orchestra type part. what did you do to give it that distant and muffled sound? the technique i use is to use reverb and pull off the dry... i'm sure there is a better way, and you pulled off exactly what i want!

oh yeah, i dugg the song. little slow at the beginning, but love the different vibes presented.

thanks for sharing

leah

glad you like it, leah

as far as the orchestra processing

the part is played using 'miroslav philharmonik' instrument... within the plug is an fx section...i used the 'phonograph' (think 'izotope vinyl'), to give the crackled, grainy, old vinyl texture...

THEN

within logic, i used 'channel eq' in the 1st insert slot.....within the 'EQ tools' section of the preset list is 'phone filter notch'....it's way cool and does this

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/5256/gdgit3.png

next i use the 'default' setting of space designer....at this point i'm just adding normal reverb, so the 'dry' is kept high and mix the 'wet' to suit

FINALLY

i bus this off to another space designer to muddy/distance it further....again, the default setting (no dry)....but obviously this depends the material and the strength of the effect you want

nice one..... :D

here's a link to 'vinyl'....it's free, and will give you the 'aged' vinyl thang

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/vinyl/

thank you, but i've already dabbled with vinyl. it was quirky with me back in the day with Logic 7. i found it would get stuck on, even when i stopped the track. i've been staying clear of 3rd party plugins/instruments. That collection of filters from Michael Norris was pretty bad at crashing logic, but you could get some interesting sounds. and camel crusher didn't really like me either. so i pay the same respect back

maybe vinyl will be nicer to me in Logic 8. i shall give it another shot

izotope works best if you print it to the audio track (when bouncing)...

the phonograph setting on miroslav also stays on the whole time, and as such, it is the only track in that choon that's printed to audio so that i can bypass the effect....do the same with vinyl

where there's a will, there's a way

and i'm sad to here that you had problems with camelcrusher.......the camel plugs (cameleon 5000, camel phatt/space) are my 'go-to' plugs.....they've been my pals since pc/cubase days....really great stuff

i also have the michael norris stuff...just haven't given them the time....yet