Patch Changes

jimchik

I can't seem to figure out how to send a patch change command from the controller to Mainstage. This will be a necessity as use with MS develops. I've got MS responding predictably to sliders, foot pedals, mod wheel, etc. Any thoughts are welcome.

And thanks in advance.

I can't seem to figure out how to send a patch change command from the controller to Mainstage. This will be a necessity as use with MS develops. I've got MS responding predictably to sliders, foot pedals, mod wheel, etc. Any thoughts are welcome.

It depends on your external MIDI hardware.

I wish there was a way to send an actual patch number instead of the next/previous patch it sends now. Maybe in an update?

Or has anyone figured a way of doing this?

You can setup your hardware to send a program change with the right patch. That would work now.

Thanks for the teasers and all, but so far you're not telling me anything truly helpful.

I had hoped that in my initial post I showed that I was capable and able to establish communication between the controller and MS in a more than basic fashion. However, the ability to send a program change with a foot switch has really dogged me.

Thanks again for any helpful advice.

• 1 month later...

I've found using Mainstage dead easy to set up potentially complicated things, like program changes. I use an M-Audio Axiom 61 and here's how I would do a program change, and hope it will work for you too...

If you want a simple up/down program change, create two buttons in Layout, making one a patch number increase, and the other a decrease (in Edit). Then use the 'learn' feature (in Layout) to get your foot pedal (or whatever) to "push" the buttons.

Mainstage responds to standard MIDI program change instructions, so refer to your hardware manual if you need to do that.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually using M-S on another project now and have sussed out the patch change command issue. Works like a charm. But it seems that i was only able to set this up on the patch level, not at the layout level as with other controllers. Not a huge issue as long as I made it a part of my template.

• 2 months later...

And thanks in advance.

Did you build a custom layout, or use the factory layout? I ask because there are already dedicated screen controls for switching between next/last patch and next/last set. If you don't have these in your custom layout, any buttons will work. You need to map the buttons to next/last patch or set, then assign a hardware controller to activate the screen control button.

• 4 months later...
I wish there was a way to send an actual patch number instead of the next/previous patch it sends now. Maybe in an update?

Or has anyone figured a way of doing this?

You can setup your hardware to send a program change with the right patch. That would work now.

Would you know to do this with an axiom 49 controller? Could you assign a button to switch to program 1, and another for 2, etc?

Thanks,

Dryw

Would you know to do this with an axiom 49 controller? Could you assign a button to switch to program 1, and another for 2, etc?
Have you taken a look at the manual that comes with the keyboard? The Axiom is a MIDI controller, so simple logic says you can send any Bank Change/Program Change you want. Take a look at section 2.3 in the User Guide, and you will see the following:
To send a program change:

49 and 61 note versions:

- Press the Program button.

- The LCD will flash the program number that was last sent out.

- Enter the program change in the range 0-127 on the numeric keypad.

• 3 months later...

Ok, so I have one for you......

I'm using a Yamaha CP33 digital piano as my controller. I chose it for the weighted keys, but it has severely limited MIDI controller stuff.

Is there a way to shift up and down the patches using two keys on the keyboard? Let's say the bottom two keys, for example, which I never use.

-d

No. The lowest two keys send out Note On/Note Off messages, not Program Change and/or Bank Change messages.

I just checked out a part of the CP-33 manual, and I do see that there is a section on using the machine as a master controller. Have you checked that out?

Personally I don't have one, so I can't give hands-on advice.