Sound CD worthy?

mrautorock

This is going to be the opening track on my band's album, though it's an mp3 file now and not mastered yet, how do you think it sounds as far as professionalism? (the drums in particular). This is my first experience with Logic and everything was recorded in our untreated bandspace with minimal gear. The song cuts off, we have to re-punch in the ending, but most of it is here. Let me know what you think/any criticism or suggestions you have to offer on the sound is appreciated.

http://www.axifile.com?5221566

Hey, that song is cool. It reminds me a little bit of Mars Volta. You did a really good job mixing and recording. The only thing I suggest is maybe adding some eerie-ambiance singing in the background because people tend to listen more to songs with singing than without. Maybe make it a little bit shorter too. Sounds good though. Hope to hear more of your stuff.

very interesting....liked all the changes, kept it moving...keeps listener motivated to hear to the end...as such i disagree that it is too long....this choon more than 'nods it's head' to prog rock, in which case it's probably 20 minutes too short :)

7/4 or 7/8 are also my favourite time sig's...love how they keep rolling around....i use it so often that straight 4/4 timing seems laboured...that extra beat is wasted.....

i also disagree with the idea of adding a vocal for the same reason as the other poster feels you should include it......unless you are going for the airplay/hit single angle

voice attracts the attention, diverting it from all of the interesting stuff happening in the background...it can make people lazy with instrumentation/arranging......

a good song can be made of 2 chords and still be great if the lyrics and vocal melody/phrasing are interesting...that same song as an instrumental would probably be boring.....

instrumental writing is a real art, one that i am very interested in perfecting

the only thing for me to listen to with quality is great headphones......i think the balance is good, but i think it seems a bit too bright/tinny at the top...makes it a bit harsh

what do you use for the panning at the beginning ???

thanks for all the good words guys.

I just manually panned the e-bow intro in latch automation.

it sucks because the intro is a bit tinny/high end, but I cant really fix it because there are cymbals in the keyboard preset that are really annoying.

funny you mentioned the vocals, i already had some layed down by a friend whos not in the band in one part, i just hadnt bounced it down yet...here's the updated one:

http://www.mediafire.com/?yz3cksreruo

Throwing my 2 cents in.

Excellent. Sounds like the "crisis point" music for a movie. It wouldn't be out of place in something like "Man on Fire". Nice.

Regarding the tinnyness: Maybe I'm missing something, but why can't you just EQ the patch in Logic? I wondered if it might be the compression on the mp3 that was stripping some of the body out of the sound. It always messes up the high frequency stuff.