My own Apple Loop / MIDI factory

noperator

I made a project that included the hypersets from LukeDunn and groove templates from Bayan and made a template. Then, I opened up 255 channel strips so that in my arrange view, I am completely free to play on my keyboard until I get a good idea. I only have 4 cores, yet I can freely experiment with all of these instrument/channel strips and come back when I want. Logic doesn't slow down for me, but I still use the renice script because it lets me lower the buffer.

With my factory:

I can make a midi region, apply a groove template for experimenting, quantize if I want to, and export as an apple loop easy!

I got this frustration from working on a single song and either not wanting to use any pre-made loops, or finding a loop combination that worked and wishing I could branch off and make a new song from it.

With this, I am able to churn out my own Apple Loops (Green) so when I need any inspiration or something else to fill in a gap, I don't need to go looking into the pre-made loops. I'm spending half my day creating and half my day seriously sequencing instead of halfway inbetween and wasting time over sacrificial decisions.

I thought I would share :) I want to be a purist and use as little or zero pre-made material as possible. That means a lot of mastering every plugin!

• 4 years later...

Hey thanks for the quick reply. I did that and a window popped up and i set all the search criteria, but then it did not show up in the loop browser. I found out that the midi file has been converted into audio and house in the factory content of Logic.

Do I have to click on any refresh button?

And one more thing, a Green apple loop is supposed to have a midi loop and channel strip setting embedded into it. Isn't it? But why convert into audio?

Sounds like you did it right... after you complete the tagging of the loop in the dialog that pops up when you drag to the Loop browser, the loop should be indexed. Make sure you completely reset your loop brower search parameters (scale, categories, search field etc...) and search the loop by name?

And one more thing, a Green apple loop is supposed to have a midi loop and channel strip setting embedded into it. Isn't it? But why convert into audio?

All Apple Loops are audio files. This allows you to preview them instantaneously by clicking them in the Loop browser, without having to load instruments/samples/effects etc. All of them are an audio file containing tags and transient information. On top of that, the green ones include the CSS and MIDI region that were used to create them.