Prog rock/Jazz/Alternative project

Draw the Moral

Hello all. I've been working on a fusion project recently. I basically want to fuse elements of prog, jazz, alternative, and even some pop into long songs with lots of odd times and jazz chords.

Here are some preliminary versions of some songs that will go along with this project.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

This first one is actually movement 1 in a 3 part song. I'm still working on the 2nd and 3rd. This one is pretty much finished as a second draft. I'm playing guitar, and bass, and I'm singing...and then the drums are software drums that I programmed in the piano roll. I recorded my guitars direct and used all native Logic plug-ins for all of the guitar effects.

http://web.mac.com/drawthemoral/Site/My_Music_and_Media/Entries/2008/2/19_Ravish_remade.html

This second one is not done yet. I've finished the music, and this is a rough draft mix...but I haven't finished writing or recording the vocals yet..so for now, it's instrumental. On this one, I recorded the guitars same as above. For software instruments, I did the bass on my MIDI controller, drums on piano roll, and then I have the strings at the end split up into 5 tracks to (hopefully) make is sound more realistic. I used a bass, cello, viola, and violin 1 and 2, and played each part separately on the MIDI controller.

http://web.mac.com/drawthemoral/Site/My_Music_and_Media/Entries/2007/9/17_Better_mix...lyrics_not_finished.html

Thanks for listening.

First off, let me say that I really like the idea. I feel a little bit of Dream Theater, but it's different. I like it. Some mix notes follow, though I realize you are not done with it, so take them with a grain of salt.

First, the vox are waay too loud. They could also use a good deal of compression. For the kind of performance, I would likely use an opto with fast attack and release to catch the transients, and a lazy one (maybe FET) to even the performance as a whole. They need, along with the drums, some more verb to tie them together.

Which leads me to the next point. For this kind of music, many of the instruments (esp. the snare, toms and vox) are much too dry. I can also hardly hear the kick. Also, when "The darkness haunts me" comes in...was this a separate vocal performance? The sonic character is much different than the other parts, and louder.

The toms. Are they meant to sound automated? I could see why you might want that effect but, if not, they could use some humanization. Also, what do you think about doubling the bass track and adding some distortion to it, and layering that in? I think that would be a nice touch in the louder parts, and turn it off for the quieter pieces.

One other thing I am hearing...something is odd about the cymbals...they sound fluttery in some way, as if they are the wrong sample rate...I dunno, it's there, but I can't put my finger on it...

Anyway, many notes (and you can, of course, take them or leave them) but I truly enjoy the piece, and can envision much potential there. This is, btw, the first track. Cheers

hey there

listened today

RAVISH

there are some nice ideas here......i like it musically and lyrically, though not combined...the melody for the vocals is nice, but something about the lyrics doesn´ t seem to fit

mix/wise, it really needs work...i concur that the drums are way too dry...this is however down to personal taste...

vocally, it needs tightening, performance and mix/wise....there are huge level differences between verses...the 2nd verse vocals being loud enough to obscure everything....you tend to lose a little control of tuning when pushing as well...this is something that will come with more practice & attempts as there is no problem with the tone and character of your voice

i would also pay attention to areas where the elements seem to be fighting against each other...it tends to get a bit messy...an example is from 2.20 onwards...the upstepped rhythm and doubled melody line tend to muddy everything

i really like it from 2:40 onwards....maybe a better tone seperation between the 2 distorted guitars (3:20 onwards)...and be careful with the timing of the solo (3:33)

great ending

VITALITY

now, i really, really like this....especially from 0:35 onwards....i feel the intro is a bit loose/muddled....trying to put my finger on it....i think it´s the bass being a bit too busy

anyways...the next section really settles....really reminds me of steve vai in his ´flex-able´days (one of my fav albums)...sounds like marcus miller on bass

:D

really love the introduction of the beat at 1:11 and the time changes from 1:40....great drum programming as well

love the new section at 2:00 onwards...in fact, right to the end....great

like the strings descending at the end...bit dry for my tastes, and don´t like the last string chord particularly....but hey, can´t win ém all

i´d love to have a go at mixing/remixing this tune...

the more i hear this, the more i love it....it would really benefit from tightening/simplifying that intro, to drag people in....not so full on

and one other thing.....i´m sure you have your heart set on vocals, but this is already so complete to me...it´s hard to imagine where vocals would fit in...

i think you´d have to strip it back, some...otherwise you might encounter that ´elements fighting´ feel...much like the other tune

anyways....just an opinion......keep on keeping on....love this kinda alt time sig thing......just pay a bit more attention to tightness/timing and you´ve definately got something

hope you don´t think any of my crit´was too harsh...and hope some of it helps

this one has got me

Oh wow guys... I totally goofed. :oops:

For ravish, I accidentally put up a scratch bounce when i first recorded the vox.

THIS is the actual mix that I'm on now.

http://web.mac.com/drawthemoral/Site/My_Music_and_Media/Entries/2008/2/19_Ravish_remade.html

I guess I didn't name the bounce correctly.

Sorry about that.

I'd like to hear your comments on this mix...and in the meantime, I'll take it back to the drawing board for the verb on the drums and vox.

Thanks for the comments so far, and elbo, I'll send you a copy of an mp3 for your iPod. That's a huge compliment, so thank you! What's your email address?

And on vitality, I'll go back and see if I can simplify that bass line. I went back and forth on it for a while...but I think in really busy layers, and so I decided to indulge on this one. :wink:

so i thought i better check out the guy who keeps checking out my work.now i know how far apart taste wise.that being said i really like this track.i didnt hear any lyric so if you can direct me to them id love to hear it.spme really great stuff on your lil site.

and well lets just say if i was djing some place and you showed up and danced like you do in your vid.id be a happy dj :D

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Yeah, the dancing was part of an audition for a tour. Basically, they wanted to see that you are not scared to be in front of people and perform.

We had a bunch of vocalists, and then there were like 10 musicians. So all of the musicians grouped together while the vocalists did their "thing.' Most of the vocalists had never done much real performing, so they were all nervous...and most of us musicians were quite comfortable with the whole thing.

They asked us to dance...so I said "Alright, I'll show you freaking dancing!" :lol:

And Sean, thanks for checking out my stuff as well. And I hope you didn't take my comments negatively. I love hearing all of the different ways that people express music. I just wanted to clarify when I listened to yours that I'm not as familiar with the style, so I'm giving a limited perspective opinion. I have still really enjoyed listening to all your stuff. I'm gonna listen to your remix in a little bit, and I'll give you some feedback on it.

Here's the song with lyrics to it:

Cool music Draw, I dig it..Sounds like you are going your own way, which is ultimately what it is all about, real bass and drums would obviously bump the groove factor up, but I still might prefer the the midi stuff because it gives it a bit more modern edge and quirkiness you might not get with a live B&D tracking.

Nice guitar work as well.

Best of luck with it

c

Cool music Draw, I dig it..Sounds like you are going your own way, which is ultimately what it is all about, real bass and drums would obviously bump the groove factor up, but I still might prefer the the midi stuff because it gives it a bit more modern edge and quirkiness you might not get with a live B&D tracking.

Nice guitar work as well.

Best of luck with it

c

Well, the reason why I went with MIDI for this is because I eventually want this to be a full band project. I just can't seem to find the musicians who are interested in this kind of music. But this way, when I do find the right musicians, when they ask "what kind of music do you do" I can give them something concrete.

The other problem is that the MIDI track is what I would play on drums...IF I could. I'm an ok drummer, but I come up with drum parts in my head that are well beyond my ability level...so then, I just have to program them via MIDI. :wink:

Thanks for listening. I really appreciate it.

Nice! Very enjoyable! I really thought there was a good sound to your voice. Loved the section in 7 at the end of Ravish.

I liked the way Vitality morphed into the keys near the end. (fwiw, even though your are putting lyrics to the song, I think the song works as an instrumental as well).

p.s. what in the world is that guitar of your's??? It looks like it has angled frets on it(?)

Thank you very much for listening! I LOVE playing in 7! I really love odd time signature grooves.

When I get all 3 parts done to Ravish, you'll hear more odd time grooves throughout. I've got some sections in 9/4 and in 5/4.

Good eye on the guitar! Actually, my wife bought this for me as an engagement present. 8)

It's a custom hand made guitar from a Luthier in Las Vegas. The frets are actually slanted, like you said. It's also got the coil tapping pickups, much like a PRS.

It's called the Novax fanned fret system. Here's some more info on it.

http://www.novaxguitars.com/

My first reaction was that it was made like that for playing quarter tones or something like that, but now I see that the bridge is angled to compensate, so it looks like it's for a more comfortable fret hand position at various positions on the neck. Interesting! Do you find it awkward to switch back and forth to a "regular" guitar though?

...my wife bought this for me as an engagement present

now that's a nice wife!

Yeah, she's wonderful. 8)

As far as playing goes, when I was in the guy's shop, he told me to close my eyes and play it like I normally would...and there was no difference. The slant of the frets is subtle enough to make playing just like a normal guitar. But it's different enough to affect intonation, and give it a very good sound.

• 2 weeks later...

Draw,

this song has so much potential!

I agree with the previous comments, specially about the drums; should they be so busy? Perhaps try a different kit, darker? Process with reverb, and/or parallel compression?

Great guitar work, but the distorted part at the end is a bit too loud.

Regards,

Sal

Yes. It's just the links in your first post that don't work for me.

"Ravish Remade" first time I heard I thought it all a bit too busy for your song (lyrics). But now i find it pretty impressive..

Don't see "Better mix, lyrics not finished"

Maybe tomorrow.