Newbies' First Logic Project

muzakshop

First of all without sounding cliche, I want to thank all of you guys out there for all the great stuff. I seriously learned this stuff from scratch through you guys and it's been a blast. I've been anonymous for a while till a week ago, but i promise to contribute as much as i can.

So here's the result of my first logic endeavor. Took me about a day to write, but about 2 months to record and mix (is this normal?).....and still not done (i'm sure you understand)

Please critique....from comp to arrangmt to mix. No ego here, just want to get better. Remember, I'm a newbie so please, any and all recommendations are very welcome.

http://www.purevolume.com/muzakshop

Thanks again folks!

• 3 weeks later...
Please critique....from comp to arrangmt to mix. No ego here, just want to get better. Remember, I'm a newbie so please, any and all recommendations are very welcome.

Thanks again folks!

Hi Muzakshop,

this is a good effort for a first song. Now the critique in no particular order:

The lead vocal could be brighter, what is your recording chain? Spice it up with double tracking, delays on specific parts, etc..

You have some vocal harmony going on but it gets buried in places.

The choir is a bad choice; it makes me think I am watching LOTR instead of listening to a love ballad. Replace it with a string section or synth pad.

The mix tends to overwhelm the rhythm section, specially in the last choruses.

You have some dark distorted guitar chords at the end that should be eq'd to improve the bottom end (cut)

Keep at it, we are all beginners,

Sal

thanks for the feedback ... i truly do appreciate it.

some questions however:

excuse my ignorance, what is a recording chain and double tracking?

what is LOTR ?

Thanks again!

Recording chain = what microphone, preamp and anything else you used to record the vocal.

Double tracking= layering two or more vocal tracks mostly to give an effect reminiscent of a chorus. There's plenty of info on the net about it.

LOTR = Lord of the Rings; movie trilogy about elves, dragons, and magic..

Sal

Thanks again folks!

Hi Muzakshop,

this is a good effort for a first song. Now the critique in no particular order:

The lead vocal could be brighter, what is your recording chain? Spice it up with double tracking, delays on specific parts, etc..

The choir is a bad choice; it makes me think I am watching LOTR instead of listening to a love ballad. Replace it with a string section or synth pad.

You have some dark distorted guitar chords at the end that should be eq'd to improve the bottom end (cut)

Sal

I'm running logic express stock with a Presonus FireBox. Mic is a Samson CL8 condenser. I totally agree with the guitar EQ advise.

I also agree with the drums being drowned out, but having a hell of a time trying to get it right. I can't seem to make it sound right with the faders. The last chorus feels like it was mixed in a different studio or something. Can't seem to make it blend with the rest of it. Any tips on that?

Thanks Again!

PS- thanks for nice feedback guys.

Thanks again folks!

Hi Muzakshop,

Sal

I'm running logic express stock with a Presonus FireBox. Mic is a Samson CL8 condenser. I totally agree with the guitar EQ advise.

I also agree with the drums being drowned out, but having a hell of a time trying to get it right. I can't seem to make it sound right with the faders. The last chorus feels like it was mixed in a different studio or something. Can't seem to make it blend with the rest of it. Any tips on that?

Thanks Again!

PS- thanks for nice feedback guys.

I will keep it simple: think of your mix in terms of the elements and their importance to the song.

Since this is a pop/rock ballad, the lead vocal is your most important element and the mix should be tailored for it.

Next is the rhythm section composed of the drums and the bass. Try to create a balanced mix featuring only these elements.

Once you're satisfied with the mix you can bring up the rest of the sounds.

Are you using any Eq? Compression?

In the future as you keep improving you might want to consider improving your recording chain with a better microphone, better preamp, etc.

Of course consider upgrading to the full version of Logic.

Sal

PS: Soon I'll have a mix of my own available for critique.