Feedback On FiLM Score idea

gman

Hey, I have just started composing a rough idea for a short film I am scoring, any feedback would be greatly appreciated, first time I am doing orchestral type stuff. Please be brutally honest, if u dont like tell me why, no offence will be taken.

Thanks

Edited by gman

Not knowing what kind of images this will play against makes it a difficult to tell how effective its going to be. It has an urgent quality to my ears and part of that might be because the twangy koto sounding instrument sound rushed, it doesn't always land on the same beat the the bassy drum sound. Or maybe it's the drum that's off. If I were to change only one thing, it would be to line those two up more. Another possibility is to put the koto farther back in the mix for a more suggestive atmospheric effect.

If this is underscoring dialogue, the koto might be a little distracting but otherwise this sounds like the sort of thing that would be effective against a montage of "traveling" images. That's what it brings to mind. Or a scene involving something like a martial arts preparation ritual.