"Chicago" Orchestral Remix

Bowromir

Hi Guys,

I made a orchestral remix of the great song "Chicago" by Sufjan Stevens. I did not copy it exactly, just gave my own spin to it and wanted to use the best parts!

I think I will use this song in my upcoming schoolinterview for a education I would like to follow (Electronic Music Composition ) next year. so it's important that the mix is good. I don't have proper studio monitors and I mixed it as good as I could, but if some levels are off please tell me :) And tell me what you think of the song in general as well :)!

Hope you guys like it! :P :)

Chicago Orchestral Remix

hey man I really like it. Some suggestions though.

You seem to have reached your highest level of dynamics by the 1 minute mark out of a 4 minute song, this is ok if you bring the intensity down again to bring it up later but you seemed to hit a plateau which then makes the song from that point sound very repetitive. Also the shaker pattern which comes in very early at the start does create excitment but then it continues throughout the whole song which left me feeling a bit disappointed that the song didn't reach a massive high if you know what I mean. I think you just need to maybe leave the huge dynamic level that runs through most of the song now until the end of the song and before hand really build the excitement leading to it. I think the melody at the start could use a bit of virtuostic rubato playing to introduce the main theme. I see a lot of potential in this arrangement, very well done :D

Thanks for the honest and the good feedback! Great to hear that you like the overall song, and just like you pointed out, it seems that the part that excites the listener the most, comes to early in the song..

like you said, I think I will make the build up a bit longer, and then work towards the ending which should be the main theme which hits to early right now :D

Also I noticed that the song could use some more tempo changes, so it seems like it's back to work 8) I'll keep you updated.. In the meantime more feedback is appreciated, because my not-so-musically-interested real life friends just say stuff like; cool! I like the ehmmm.. ehmm.. flute? or is it a piano :roll: ..

ps: Cheesemonger; not sure what you mean with your last comment about the rubato playing, could you explain that a bit for me? Cheers :D

yeah sorry what rubato means is out of time. I don't mean make it sound bad I mean I think that section could benefit from some "freeness" to introduce the main theme. But that's just personal taste. But yeah very good to hear some orchestral pieces on this forum keep up the good work.