Two major Track Freeze issues:

C_MAJOR

I’m currently running Logic 7.1 on Tiger but these problems have been just as prevalent with former versions of the OS and Logic. So this is not Tiger specific nor does it only apply to the latest L7 update.

First, I want to say that I’m mostly using the East West Q/L Symphonic Orchestra Gold Edition, which comes with it’s own dedicated VI sample player; “Kompakt”

Maybe some of my issues are do to some bugs with the Native Instrument Kompakt player and are not totally Logic 7 related but I’ve seen them happen with non-third-party VI’s as well.

Here are the problems I’m getting related to the track freeze function:

1. If the first note in my Instrument track is even the slightest bit before the first beat of the measure, freezing the track results in silent playback of the track. 100% repeatable until I unfreeze, quantize the first note and refreeze the track. Then it plays back fine. This problem is evident with ANY virtual instrument including the stock instruments from Logic 7.

2. Many attempts required for freezing a track before I get ALL the notes to play back without drop-outs on many of the longer sustain notes. This is my biggest concern since I have to solo and listen to EVERY track after I freeze it, in real-time, just to make sure it all plays back correctly. Very VERY time consuming and ruins the work flow as I cannot trust my frozen tracks. Eventually, after freezing and unfreezing (sometimes 8 to 10 times), the track will finally play back as it should. So the process of freezing ONLY ONE track can take as much as 20 minutes. I have some orchestral pieces with well over fifty tracks, if you do the math - well... This problem is intermittent and gets worse as the session grows in size. It happens with NI stuff mostly but I’ve seen it on Logic’s instruments as well.

The Kompakt player has the capability of streaming the samples right off a hard drive (DFD or “Direct From Disc”). This is the setting I’m using as it generally increases polyphony/performance. The problem with turning this feature off/on (for troubleshooting purposes) is that I need to reload my sessions for the new playback settings to take affect for all instances. So again, very time consuming. Some of my sessions take as long as 7 to 8 minutes to load. Imagine testing several DFD setting options back and forth - just not possible if you have a deadline... Testing DFD settings on small sessions would defeat the purpose since it is with large session that I’m having most of these issues.

Anyway, I just need to confirm if this is a bug or if others have seen this sort of unreliable track-freeze playback behavior. It’s really killing my work flow...

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to be clear.

Thanks for any input on this topic,

Dan-

-----------

Dual 1.25GHz G4 FW800

2GB RAM

OS10.4 Tiger

LOGIC 7.1

M-Audio Firewire 410 (driver version 1.5)

-----------

Dedicated audio & audio streaming Hard Drives:

100GB 7200rpm Firewire - Oxford 911

200GB internal ATA100 Hardrive

Hi.

Number 1 complaint is *definitely* a bug. Does it to me, too. (10.3.9 and 7.1)

I've tended to avoid freezes, now, anyway.

Kompact seems to be every bit as unfriendly as Reaktor, from what you say. I don't have Kompact but I use Reaktor Session a lot and I get dropouts and sometimes just completely lose the instrument until I reload the song. I think this may just be NI behind the times, as per.

:?