plagued with Error 5000 messages? Here's a fix:

rikki rivett

Thanks, but.... make sure you know what you're doing. Most of the time, you get this error because you're trying to do something "wrong", like recording audio to your system folder (for example if you open a template and start recording without first naming and saving the project).

Additionally, unless you really have to change permission in batch for several folders and/or files that are not enclosed in the same folder, you can do most batch permission changes in the Finder using "Apply to Enclosed Items" from the action menu in the "Get Info" window.

Thanks, but.... make sure you know what you're doing. Most of the time, you get this error because you're trying to do something "wrong", like recording audio to your system folder (for example if you open a template and start recording without first naming and saving the project).

Thanks David; yes, caution is advised.

The problems I have experienced arise from working with a song which I've copied from our studio networked RAID volume onto a local workstation.

Logic has always had a very peculiar/particular handling of Permissions which I don't quite understand. Where the Fade files get written to, for instance, is something of a mystery. It is a major pain when Logic won't let you do a simple crossfade because of some obscure permissions issue.

The workaround in L7 was simply to save the song under a new name on the local workstation (i.e , my computer) but L8 seems to insist on saving with all the assets, which for a half-hour TV project (for instance) gives us a song with 1-2 GB; a bit unwiedly.

Additionally, unless you really have to change permission in batch for several folders and/or files that are not enclosed in the same folder, you can do most batch permission changes in the Finder using "Apply to Enclosed Items" from the action menu in the "Get Info" window.

Exactly this has not been possible (grayed out) which is what led me to look for a utility which can force-change permissions.

My general impression is that Logic has a bunch of legacy issues; the file name length restriction and the handling of Permissons for network files in particular. Hopefully these will be brought up to date one day.

Cheers

RR :wink: