Does a plugin like this exist?

berrevd

Hi,

I would like to use Mainstage in my live-setup but the main thing that kept me from doing that up till now is the fact that you cannot integrate external synths into your setup.

However, I was thinking that some small AU-plugin could help, if it extists.

The plugin should be able to:

* send MIDI data from the keyboard(-zone/-layer or how is it called?) to a selectable MIDI output and channel

* send a patch number, volume, panning, expression and maybe some other controller data on that output/channel when the Mainstage patch is selected or when a certain MIDI controller is received (to maybe bypass Mainstage quirks???)

And that's basically it. Does such a plug-in exist? And if so, where can I find it? I think this would help me already a lot!

Many thanks for your help.

Regards,

Bert

berrevd,

This has typically been the realm of the MIDI Master Controller keyboard. In fact, my Fatar Studio 2001 Master Keyboard can do everything you're asking for, on up to 64 MIDI channels in and out, with 64 chainable presets. But alas, true master controller keyboards seem to be going the way of the dinosaurs and manufacturers are coming up with some pretty retarded stuff now.

As far as a plug-in, no. A stand alone app, yes. I'm sure you could do this with Max but there may be something else out there.

Hi fader8,

thanks for the reply. Yes, I am aware that this is (was) normally in the realm of the true MIDI controller keyboards, as I do this now with my Roland A70, and I couldn't live without it. I cannot understand so many keyboard-players still switch there patches synth by synth manually, plus the zones and layers...

But the thing is, I would like to be able to use more than the 64 presets I have now, and even more importantly, I would like to have all the information in one place. So if Mainstage would be able to do all this with external synths too (a much asked feature, I know), I would not need to maintain my patches in two or more places. Plus, I would be able to control all this with any keyboard I want or have at my disposal... And with less cabling to do as most of them can then remain fixed in my rack... Alas... Anyone interested in writing such a plug for me ;-)

But I am interested in your suggestion for the standalone app. Do you think a combination of these two apps could solve my problem? Which one would then be best?

Regards,

B-) :wink:

Well, it's an interesting problem. Really nothing's been written that properly addresses the needs for comprehensive MIDI control. Also, the AU plug-in specification doesn't cover multichannel/multiport MIDI. That has to be organized by the host.

While you could create something to do this in Max, it might prove difficult to maintain. There's also OSX's inability to keep multiple MIDI interface ports consistently enumerated from one session to the next. Add to that the inherent flakiness of USB MIDI drivers in general and I think you're creating a reliability nightmare. I just don't feel good about a software solution being ready for prime time like that.

That could change, but the needs of live gigging musicians are not exactly high on any product managers priority lists. If you need to expand to something with higher setup capacity than your A70, you might consider a Kurzweil K2600. Its Setup mode is very flexible in this regard. When it comes to reliability on stage, it's tough to beat good hardware.

Hmmmm, I guess this means I'll have to add Mainstage as if it were just another synth in my setup then. Or wait for a next version of Mainstage with external MIDI capabilities...

Bummer...

Thanks anyway.

Grtz,

B-)

• 3 weeks later...
Hmmmm, I guess this means I'll have to add Mainstage as if it were just another synth in my setup then. Or wait for a next version of Mainstage with external MIDI capabilities...

Bummer...

Thanks anyway.

Grtz,

B-)

Actually, you want to find an Audio Unit instrument plug-in which routes MIDI to the outside world. Such a thing exists!

http://mysite.verizon.net/retroware/

This plug-in has been around for ages. It does, more or less, exactly what you want. You will not be able to send program changes from MS, but if you just want to send the MIDI out to a device in your rig, that's possible.

• 3 weeks later...

berrevd,

I was thinking about this, and it wouldn't be all that difficult to create a Logic environment layer that could handle all this stuff. As I see it, in response to a single program change, it would need to:

route an input to an output by port and channel in any combination, essentially rechannelizing,

transmit a series of messages by port and channel:

Program change

Init Vol

Init various cc's

Maybe a keyswitch for articulation

Shift keyrange and octave

Change velocity curve

Scale velocity

Fix velocity

I'm sure I'm missing something.

Then Mainstage would be another instrument, but also a control source perhaps.

Tricky, but do-able I think.