Logic's hidden tape distortion plug

A good compromise I think would be to use the 0.1ms setting until it's time to bounce, at which point you could let the 0.0ms setting fly! Or something.

Hello everyone, new to the board and still on LP7 here so I'm not entirely sure this applies - but couldn't you, as an option to the above recommendation, force the delay setting to 0ms by automation?

Hello everyone, new to the board and still on LP7 here so I'm not entirely sure this applies - but couldn't you, as an option to the above recommendation, force the delay setting to 0ms by automation?

Not sure about Logic 7, but that already worked in 8.0.1 - AFAIK this is not new to 8.0.2?

Not sure about Logic 7, but that already worked in 8.0.1 - AFAIK this is not new to 8.0.2?

Then, if you automate the Tape Delay plugin to 0ms at the start of your track, that setting would save with the project thus eliminating the need to 'compromise' at 0.1ms. Right? :)

Then, if you automate the Tape Delay plugin to 0ms at the start of your track, that setting would save with the project thus eliminating the need to 'compromise' at 0.1ms. Right? :)

Right.

The automation trick is neat, btw., but it won't work in 7 as you won't be able to automate below 10ms.

Yeah, it's a shame, but thanks for the tip to use negative delay compensation in LP7. Using those track settings in a more creative fashion - in regards to plugins - really offers some cool possibilities. :)

Really looking forward upgrading to Logic 8 and a newer machine. I've heard so much good stuff about the new native plugins, and the first time I saw that comp feature being demoed it just blew me away. :D

• 1 month later...

I jus tried this on VOX and yeah it sounded nice - but it was also about 3-4 dB louder than bypassed.

Curious your guys Dry/Wet ratio ... I had it at 0 dry/ 100 wet with feedback at 0 and smooth at 40ms

Now i jus noticed the distortion level (under the drop down arrow menu), definitely changes the sound - anyone mess with this yet?

• 3 months later...

Great tip & great sounding!

I'm just messin' with it right now in the Output channel,pre-limiter,don't know if that's appropriate (bet it depends on the result one wants to achieve) but it sounds pretty good.

Actually,it works better than an exciter to my ears;shame about the 0ms setting though.

Heh, if it's on the master out, then the minute delay isn't gonna change anything, much like the delay your limiter also probably induces :)

And yes, distortions can be very good mastering effects. I have a mate who swears by Live's Saturator (another distortion effect) to polish off his tracks, whereas I generally use Logic compressor's soft distortion algorithm. Well, either that or Ohm Force's Ohmicide :D

Heh, if it's on the master out, then the minute delay isn't gonna change anything, much like the delay your limiter also probably induces...

Thank you,I know that,it's just that I've yet to decide if using it overall on the master or as bus insert for only specific tracks.

That said,it's only a matter of tweaking the setting prior to bouncing..........digital technology spoilt us big time! :D

cheers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'd love to know what setting you all are using? I'm experimenting with a nice loop but can't (yet) get my head around the controls -- if anyone can post a sample setting I'd love to go from there. The presets are good, but not "tapey" ... more "delay-ey" if you get my drift.

TIA!

Set delay to 0, dry signal to 0 and fx signal to 100%, then use the feedback slider to increase or decrease the intensity. This way you can hear exactly what it does. Not for everything imho but very useful for a lot of stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

with the distortion at -20bd, i played around with the flutter rate, intensity, the LFO, and the delay amount (moving it around while a drum loop was playing), and got some cool effects that sounded like those you can get with Audio Damage's Discord 2 plug-in.

It's wicked for drums, and you can make them sound like on Bowie's Low album..

Set delay to 0, dry signal to 0 and fx signal to 100%, then use the feedback slider to increase or decrease the intensity. This way you can hear exactly what it does. Not for everything imho but very useful for a lot of stuff.

So do you set wet at 100%? Thanks!! This sounds pretty wicked on clean drums.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Air Balloon? Where? I have just done an entire search of my machine and there is no reference to it anywhere.

Whilst on the subject, none of the Space Designer settings that appear on the website, such as Bat Cave & Rustic Kitchen are anywhere to be found either.

Mmmm, the plot thickens.... am I missing some content? I thought not as my menus are very poulated

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guys, in Logic 8 it seems that the distortion is the strongest when slider is set to -20 and the least audible when set to +20...same with you???

indeed, the plug-in seems to work that way...doesanyone know why this is? is it how tape distortion works on old reel-to-reel machines?

anyway, with a bit of gain, everything can be brought back up to crushing volumes ;)

Air Balloon? Where? I have just done an entire search of my machine and there is no reference to it anywhere.

Whilst on the subject, none of the Space Designer settings that appear on the website, such as Bat Cave & Rustic Kitchen are anywhere to be found either.

Mmmm, the plot thickens.... am I missing some content? I thought not as my menus are very poulated

Try: Space Designer>03 Small spaces>06 Indoor Spaces>Air Balloon.pst

Guys, in Logic 8 it seems that the distortion is the strongest when slider is set to -20 and the least audible when set to +20...same with you???

indeed, the plug-in seems to work that way...doesanyone know why this is? is it how tape distortion works on old reel-to-reel machines?

anyway, with a bit of gain, everything can be brought back up to crushing volumes ;)

Which slider would this be? Not seeing any "minus" settings possible......