Mod Wheel switch MIDI channel for articulation

Note from admin: scroll down to find the template in my 2nd answer

How can I have logic recognize when I change the mod wheel to x it will change the midi channel to x

So, lets say when i set the mod wheel to 0-20 it will correspond to midi ch 1. If I set the mod wheel to 21-40 it will correspond or change to midi ch 2 etc.

I would cable transformers in series, one transformer for each range/midi channel. This will change the MIDI channel of the Mod wheel data, but do you also want to change the channel of the notes?
David I want to understand this so bad, but I need a little 101 on this if you dont mind.

I understand the concept and the end result but Im completely new to transformers as far as actually using them other than humanizing and that sort of thing.

Im trying to do this for miroslav articulation switching within one track. I know Rohan has his articulation demo which is amazing but thats really intense and a little to advance for me right now as far as understanding it completely which is something I want to do.

yanizle - you should try to do this with one transformer and map the range, such as in my picture.

stevenson,

I think that would only work if you route the data as shown below. Davids suggestion may actually be quicker to implement though.

bendtochan.jpg.eab5b1b55c4e843cff245a51c33b8440.jpg

that won't work in the context of what yantizle is trying to achieve. he doesn't want to map the cc1 data to channels, he wants to use the cc1 data (modwheel) to change the midi channel of notes on the fly. davids method is simplest to do straight off, but my way would allow one transformer to do the job rather than have a series of them. yantizle would still need a cable switcher though. all my moethod does is map his modwheel range to a specific value that can then be used to make the cable switcher switch to the right the cable.

that won't work in the context of what yantizle is trying to achieve. he doesn't want to map the cc1 data to channels, he wants to use the cc1 data (modwheel) to change the midi channel of notes on the fly.

Ah! Change the channel of notes! That's a detail David and I didn't have. David's solution wouldn't work for that either, as it stands. But how do you know this? I think you guys are holdin out on us! :!: :!:

David's solution wouldn't work for that either, as it stands. But how do you know this? I think you guys are holdin out on us!

but actually davids method would if you set the range of the second data byte to be fixed. so 0-20 in the second data byte field was fixed to 0. that's actually the easiest method to understand, but it means you need lots of transformers in series. considering he is also going to need a transformer for every articualtion he wants the notes to fix to a midi channel, it just means his environment is going to get a little cluttered.

but actually davids method would if you set the range of the second data byte to be fixed. so 0-20 in the second data byte field was fixed to 0.

Agreed. But I'm still not sure how you know that changing the note channels is actually what the OP needs?

did you check the link?

he has been PMing me about how to use the miroslav instrument in the same way as the apple jampacks do for changing articuation on the fly using the modwheel.

that link gives a description and a snapshot of how the environment should look MINUS the modwheel range mapping. he can use either my method or davids to set the range of modwheel movement to fixed values. but he will need the cable switcher and transformers to convert notes to specific midi channels in order to use midi channel based articulation switching with a modwheel.

yanizle - you should try to do this with one transformer and map the range, such as in my picture.

look at my post to you which i think is in the control room forum.

Stevenson you are the "Man". Thank you so much for explaining that to me. I have my environment set now for one instrument Violins I but I need a walk through of the transformer in between the instrument and cable switcher for the mod wheel please. I know we could spend alot of time just on that thing alone but I just want to understand whats going on with it for our instances. Mod Wheel

look at my post to you which i think is in the control room forum.

Stevenson you are the "Man". Thank you so much for explaining that to me. I have my environment set now for one instrument Violins I but I need a walk through of the transformer in between the instrument and cable switcher for the mod wheel please. I know we could spend alot of time just on that thing alone but I just want to understand whats going on with it for our instances. Mod Wheel
I actually need all the transformers explained. How should the transformers for the designated midi ch look.

I would do this:

1) Use a transformer to map CC#1 (1-20=0, 21-40=1, etc)

2) Use a cable switcher to switch outputs depending on the incoming CC#1 value (0 is out 0, 1 is out 1, etc)

3) Use transformers to set the desired MIDI channel for each cable switcher output

+ You can download my file at the bottom of this post.

ModWheel switch MIDI Channel.zip

998442797_Picture5.png.9884641261a157d559f694ab8652731c.png

First of all, it's great to see stevenson here. Visit more often, will ya?! :mrgreen:

Second, not to take away from anyone's efforts, but offered as an alternative, I made an environment that uses the capslock keyboard to switch MIDI channels on the fly. I created this exclusively to mimic the keyswitching action of many sample libraries. It can be easily modified to perform keyswitching using actual MIDI keyboard keys as well.

I've used this extensively for creating orchestral MIDI mockups. The circuit can be switched in and out of use either manually or using any MIDI CC# as a control source. It's just a "peace of mind" feature, but actually not even necessary if you switch to channel 1 ("A" on the capslock) and leave it there.

Once you open the template you'll see the environment layer in which this was created. Note the word "capslock" on the physical input object. This will be in a different position on everyone's system. So if it's not connected to the object called "check incoming capslock notes", just drag a cable from "capslock" to that object. Easy. The only other thing you'll have to do is hit the #2 key on the capslock keyboard after making it visible. That's it!

Please post back if you need fruther details on how it works.

http://logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=10569

Edited by ski

wow, david, i didn't think of it doing it on the sum - but hang on, wouldn't that change the midi channel of notes globally? i don't think you can do that...or wait...that only affects input into the sequencer. so it would play back independently. then if you wanted to input manually after the fact you wuld just enter the right cc1 number to switch cables.

yep that might do it...cool. how many ways to skin a cat there is in logic....

Huh.. actually I guess if you wanted to change the MIDI channel of the notes after recording, then you'd have to either use CC#1 as you said and route the track to that chain I made, then to the instrument - or just change the MIDI notes manually obviously.

I didn't really think of it that way, I thought this was intended for live recording.

wow, david, i didn't think of it doing it on the sum - but hang on, wouldn't that change the midi channel of notes globally? i don't think you can do that...or wait...that only affects input into the sequencer. so it would play back independently. then if you wanted to input manually after the fact you wuld just enter the right cc1 number to switch cables.

yep that might do it...cool. how many ways to skin a cat there is in logic....

can you please explain the transformers lol

ah yes of course - and actually it could prove problematic for instruments that do not require this treatment. no i think it would be a lot 'easier'/flexible to do it for each instrument. also, i don't think this is for live recording necessarily, just for being able to change on the fly. it's for orchestral mock-ups.

yanizle - transformers are extremely easy to understand. have a go at setting them up yourself in conjunction with the manual. if you get stuck of course come back for help, but honestly they are no harder to understand than anything else within logic you probably had to find out for yourself.

mate i can sort of understand them, and i am hardly the sharpest tool in the drawer....