How can I copyright my material ?

• 3 months later...

Hi Tbaraki

Not sure how your postal system works over there, but a cheap back up i use here is as follows...

1:Record the song onto a CD, write the lyrics down, write down the chord structure etc...

2:Put all the song related data into an padded envelope and then seal the bag as best you can (with sticky tape etc..)

3:Go to post office and send the package to yourself via RECORDED DELIVERY

4:When you receive the package DON'T OPEN IT!!

5:Put the package away somewhere safe

When some one then rips off your track a year later (making money that should be yours) you can get the judge to open your package (that has been signed and dated 12 month earlier) in court proving your the genius...

Conno

Unfortunately it does not make you a copyright owner and has no legal effect. It only proves that the material in question existed at particular date.

It may have worked some 10-15 years ago but today this way of protecting your work is proving unreliable.

Acutally, whomever creates the work IS the copyright owner. The registration of the copyright with the government isn't necessary, but will be a major advantage in a lawsuit.

"... When is my work protected?

Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?

No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”

Why should I register my work if copyright protection is automatic?

Registration is recommended for a number of reasons. Many choose to register their works because they wish to have the facts of their copyright on the public record and have a certificate of registration. Registered works may be eligible for statutory damages and attorney's fees in successful litigation. Finally, if registration occurs within 5 years of publication, it is considered prima facie evidence in a court of law. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration” and Circular 38b, Highlights of Copyright Amendments Contained in the Uruguay Round Agreements Act (URAA), on non-U.S. works.

I’ve heard about a “poor man’s copyright.” What is it?

The practice of sending a copy of your own work to yourself is sometimes called a “poor man’s copyright.” There is no provision in the copyright law regarding any such type of protection, and it is not a substitute for registration.

Is my copyright good in other countries?

The United States has copyright relations with most countries throughout the world, and as a result of these agreements, we honor each other's citizens' copyrights. However, the United States does not have such copyright relationships with every country. For a listing of countries and the nature of their copyright relations with the United States, see Circular 38a, International Copyright Relations of the United States."

Conno

Unfortunately it does not make you a copyright owner and has no legal effect. It only proves that the material in question existed at particular date.

It may have worked some 10-15 years ago but today this way of protecting your work is proving unreliable.

Acutally, whomever creates the work IS the copyright owner. "

Indeed. Consider following situation when someone gets hold of your unreleased album and tries to prove that he owns copyrights for obvious financial benefits. He sends it to himself by recorded delivery..... Totally unreliable.

Conno

Acutally, whomever creates the work IS the copyright owner. "

Indeed. Consider following situation when someone gets hold of your unreleased album and tries to prove that he owns copyrights for obvious financial benefits. He sends it to himself by recorded delivery..... Totally unreliable.

Exactly, Let's say he does the research to find out the real owner did NOT file a copyright and he files one (the legit way). The government recognizes him as the real owner.

Bottom line, if you think your song is worth millions, then use some of that money to protect it.

inflex, is that copyright service website an official way of protecting works? this copyright question has been bugging me for ages and ages now, and paying 70quid for unlimited use for 10 years does sound pretty reasonable to me!!.

would it really hold up well in court? I'm only a bit wary as it is a .co.uk site and not a .gov.uk site lol cheers for mentioning it... I had never found it when searching through google and even the MPRS didn't tell me about it when I was asking advice from them too...!

is that copyright service website an official way of protecting works? would it really hold up well in court?

It's probably more reliable way of proving that you own copyrights than to have your mum or girlfirend as witness in court lol But seriously the only way to find out is to have your work passed off as someone elses.. which probably isn't the most pleasant experience but could make you some money if you win ;)

MCPS-PRS on the other hand is much more suitable for " I heard my tune on the radio and want to get paid" situation. That's what mechanical copyright protection is for.

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/register/how_registration_helps

It's probably more reliable way of proving that you own copyrights than to have your mum or girlfirend as witness in court

haha !! well thanks a lot though, im gonna check out the system's options/small print in more detail :) it could be just what I needed lol

thanks for clearing up the mcs-prs confusion I had too, I understand now exactly what they would be used for!

Cheers :)

• 3 months later...

Cheapest CYA way is to copyright a compilation.

Works just like individual song rights and is a $ and time blessing if you are doing 87 songs a year.

You can do a whole CD for the cost of one song.

Do it in writing with lyric and chord charts for each song and a cd with all the tune titles, length and you as the writer, producer etc and the date each was recorded. Don't write on the CD with a Sharpee it will eat the finish over time.

Try an acid free photo marker When you write on the disc and try to write outside the burned area. Avoid paper sticky labels, they will shrink in 20 years and peel the backing off.

Make sure you use a form SR.

This will not only copyright the words, melody, chords and structure but will copyright the actual sound recording itself.

Folks have been know to steal instrumentals or long intros or solos and play them or loop them into some other song.

You also can't copyright a song title, so if you think you have the next

"I will always Love you" then Trademark it or you're screwed

Smiles

Hi Tbaraki

Not sure how your postal system works over there, but a cheap back up i use here is as follows...

1:Record the song onto a CD, write the lyrics down, write down the chord structure etc...

2:Put all the song related data into an padded envelope and then seal the bag as best you can (with sticky tape etc..)

3:Go to post office and send the package to yourself via RECORDED DELIVERY

4:When you receive the package DON'T OPEN IT!!

5:Put the package away somewhere safe

When some one then rips off your track a year later (making money that should be yours) you can get the judge to open your package (that has been signed and dated 12 month earlier) in court proving your the genius...

That alas won't work in court. It's an old tale told over and over again.

a) the moment you have created something unique you have the copyright for it, no need to specify © copyright or something similar.

b) However, in order to get a proof in court the recommended way here in USA is to register the tracks at the Library of Congress. The web site has info about this. Other countries had other official options, some even free if you belong to specific musician or songwriter unions.

Trademarking is really expensive. I've seen it done for band names, high profile, for songs that would be surprising. You need to re-register the trademark every year, for each country, so it's very expensive.

Many do not do it, as it costs money and for many projects it is not really worth it, unless you are worried someone will steal your song or melody and it's a high profile release.

So feel free to express yourself as much as possible. For me, if someone steals my song and I have mine up on the web, that's enough for me to claim the rights (even if they send 10k/day entertainment lawyers after me.)

Miraculously I just found an unopened package in some of my DAD's old stuff.

It is postmarked 1968

and It says there is a tape inside of "his Original version of Stairway to Heaven" in there.

What should I do with it?

Wait here's another one entitled "Free Bird"

Could it be?

All I need is a Judge to agree with me, Right?

Sorry, got to go take my medicine.

• 4 weeks later...

Is anyone familiar with the copyright upon the drum patterns within drum kits for logic pro 8? I know you can use them in your own compositions but if you were to make loops and were to distribute the loop would this infringe upon the royalty free agreement upon the use of the drum kits in logic?

Does anyone know where I can find more info about this?

Is anyone familiar with the copyright upon the drum patterns within drum kits for logic pro 8? I know you can use them in your own compositions but if you were to make loops and were to distribute the loop would this infringe upon the royalty free agreement upon the use of the drum kits in logic?

It could vary depending on the Country you are from.

One cannot copyright a C major scale, but one can copyright a composition that uses a C major scale.

Your composition would be protected, but anyone could reuse the royalty free drum parts you used from Logic.

• 2 weeks later...

You can't copyright drum beats or chord progressions. If you could, there would be no rock, country, or rap.

Also, If you are strictly a loop user, nothing you do is worth trying to copyright. You need a unique melody and/or lyrics.