building a track.

There is something about having limited resources when writing a song....in Logic we have this plethora of plugins @ our disposal and it can be downright overwhelming to get even HALF way through a song! I do believe you have to have a knack for arranging as well as patience, but in my experience ( and i hate to say this) but WAY back, when I used Cool Edit Pro (now Adobe Audition...or something) I used to finish songs all the time. You were very limited on what you could do without actually having to DO calculations on your delay times and how to mathematically get them in sync with the tempo, only to be permanently rendered onto an audio file that had like 50 copies in a bin.

What was so quick about using it? Everything in the arrange was set up where you would manipulate audio files right then and there, right clicking and reversing a file as well as automatically making a copy of it in the bin...almost instantly. Given you had a pool of audio that you had to swim through....but you could really move..and get creative as well as arrange at the same time.

Anyone feeling me here?

Logic still rocks hard....but I think need to find my mojo. ? ? ?

• 1 month later...

Write, Write, and Re-Write. Eventually it will click.

So many variations to a theme. You play a Bass line, little do you know that playing a guitar part with it will change the entire concept.

Sometimes you can write a hit song but have it played and arranged wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSMp2PjEC_c&feature=related

TO:

oUG0GjdoGHE

Don't get hung up with things that stand in your way.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think that it's great to NOT have a system to write with.

For me, I can range between the first approach (agonizing over a sound) to singing a riff into a telephone answering machine and then transcribing it. I also use traditional notation with paper and pencil, singing into tape recorders, writing lyrics in notebooks, on scraps of paper, jamming into Logic with guitar synth controller, mangling a beat, fooling with sounds on my Nord, playing bass through an amp and singing (with bleed and no click). Some of my fave ideas come when I'm rehearsing with others, and I just play something I like (usually not related to the music going on in the rehearsal :oops: . I try and get those captured on my phone....

The initial capture is the easy part. It's the developing it into a piece that is the challenge. I don't have time to write about that now, but if you're interested, ask me. Obviously, an important part is the process and documentation. I've got some systems in place for that.

John

• 3 months later...