Load MIDI file to play OS X MIDI sound bank?

thestormer12

is there a way to load a midi file and have it play the onboard midi bank that comes with OSX. It takes forever to load the software instruments and I know that I can use the option key to load a midi file to play on an external midi module. Please can you help with this situation?

thanx for the quick reply. But it doesn't answer my question. Can it just not be done? I am used to a pc that has an onboard synth. Does Quicktime come with its own synth in which Logic cant use?

Quicktime comes with its own synth. Logic can use it in two different ways: either using the Quicktime synth object in the environment (New > Internal > Apple QuickTime) or using the software synth implementation by clicking a soft synth insert and choosing AU Instruments > Apple > DLSMusicDevice.

David. I thank you for your time and efforts. Unfortunately this is yet another thing that cannot be accomplished by Logic. At least I know now that what I wanted to do cannot be done. Everything you offered works but it has nothing to do with being able to load a midi file and have it play thru the Quicktime synth without having to change every single track. I might as well wait for all the un-needed Garage Band instruments to load. Do you know if Quicktime manufactures a midi editor?

I might as well wait for all the un-needed Garage Band instruments to load.

I see what you need so just follow the exact steps I offer:

1/ Open Logic - it must come with some template or what else that's why hit Close or (Command+W).

2/ Hold down your Option key before open the SMF file (this will prevent loading Garage Band instruments during the SMF import ).

3/ Logic->File->Open and browse to the SFM file ( keep the Option key held all the time ).

4/ Logic will load the SMF as orinal inc the original SMF tempo etc...

5/ Open the Environment window and goto "Midi Instr." layer. select the Multi ( GM Device ) and set its port to "Off" in the Inspector.

6/ Create from "New" menu Internal->Apple Quick Time object (synth) and cable the Multi to this Quick Time synth object.

7/ Hit play.

Done

I might as well wait for all the un-needed Garage Band instruments to load.

I see what you need so just follow the exact steps I offer:

1/ Open Logic - it must come with some template or what else that's why hit Close or (Command+W).

2/ Hold down your Option key before open the SMF file (this will prevent loading Garage Band instruments during the SMF import ).

3/ Logic->File->Open and browse to the SFM file ( keep the Option key held all the time ).

4/ Logic will load the SMF as orinal inc the original SMF tempo etc...

5/ Open the Environment window and goto "Midi Instr." layer. select the Multi ( GM Device ) and set its port to "Off" in the Inspector.

6/ Create from "New" menu Internal->Apple Quick Time object (synth) and cable the Multi to this Quick Time synth object.

7/ Hit play.

Done

That's it Vacheto, the file that I put in the last post is just what you said already done, like a template with 16 tracks cabled to quicktime, so you just need to drag the MIDI from finder to track 1, and it's another option to not load the GB instruments, cause when you drag to a arrange with tracks, Logic understand that you want to use that midi file on that tracks, just another option too, anyway, the 2 methods are the same in diferent ways.

Logic is great !!! :)

anyway, the 2 methods are the same in diferent ways.

Not actually, the methods are quite different !

When drug any SMF from the finder Logic does not import the tempos or tempo maps of the original SFM file which is a serious problem ! It may be a trick if you do not wish to import tempos ( it's a useful option in some situations ).

Logic is great !!!

Do not think so regarding the SMF import export features. You can confirm that one day if get a touch of some different Pro Daw apps... ( personal opinian - no comment ).

like a template with 16 tracks cabled to quicktime,

Yep, here I'm really happy that you have been involved in the deep Environment - I follow your development guy so go on ! :wink:

Not actually, the methods are quite different !

When drug any SMF from the finder Logic does not import the tempos or tempo maps of the original SFM file which is a serious problem ! It may be a trick if you do not wish to import tempos ( it's a useful option in some situations ).

Wow, I didn't really new that, great to know. Thanks.

Logic is great !!!
Do not think so regarding the SMF import export features. You can confirm that one day if get a touch of some different Pro Daw apps... ( personal opinion - no comment ).

I use Live 7, Pro Tools M-Powered and HD 7.4, day by day, I have Cubase SE too, and I'm not really deep in midi file, cause I almost always produce my own material, so I don't use so much the midi file things. anyway, If you said so, probably you must be right. :)

like a template with 16 tracks cabled to quicktime,
Yep, here I'm really happy that you have been involved in the deep Environment - I follow your development guy so go on ! :wink:

Thanks, you're a good professor :wink:

is there a way to load a midi file and have it play the onboard midi bank that comes with OSX. It takes forever to load the software instruments and I know that I can use the option key to load a midi file to play on an external midi module. Please can you help with this situation?

Open with 'Logic' and then go to the Midi Instr section of the Environment ADD and cable the Apple synth. It takes seconds to do and all the parts are preloaded as they were saved as.

PleasePleaseMe.mid

From PleasePleaseMe.lso

1797775232_Picture3.png.a327530d30650b920aa35f1f211dbd0d.png

1046734263_Picture2.png.1fd5ad100cd6bd086d92bb2796c3a51a.png

189197623_Picture1.png.d1b13639f84215722cfbde50e5261b47.png

Standard Midi File among other things.

There is plenty of info on the net dealing with MIDI. It is beyond the scope of this forum to teach you all about Midi. We can help you to a point where Logic is concerned.

Feel free to ask.

BTW, the above .Zip file I provided contains evrything midi wise. I didn't have to assign anything. Just open the file with LOGIC and it works... No messing with anything.

• 4 years later...

Okay, I know this is YEARS after the original post, and I am a new comer to the Logic scene, but I would like to post what I have finally found as a workaround for importing SMF files into Logic as this has caused me no end of frustration, after scourging the net for a solution for months. I am hoping that this may possibly help someone who is also searching for a solution to this problem.

1) Create a template with 16 tracks of DLS Music Device

-create an empty Software Instrument track

-select instrument by: All Instruments > Apple > DLS Music Device > Stereo

-select desired DLS Soundbank

(one can add more Soundbanks by copying GM Soundbank SF2 or DLS files into:

/Library/Audio/Sounds/Banks or /User/YourLogginName/Library/Audio/Sounds/Banks

This makes a HUGE difference to the sound with a good GM SF2 Soundbank)

-duplicate the track repeatedly until you have 16 tracks of identical DLS Instruments

-rename each track(I call mine DLS-XXXX with XXXX being the name of the SF2)

-save as template for future use

2) Importing SMF file:

-create a new project by opening the above template

-drag SMF into empty spaces of Arranger at the bottom

(Logic will create seperate tracks with it's selected(often unsuitable) instruments)

-drag the regions to Track 1(DLS)

(as all the new regions will be selected after importing, they will be moved to corresponding DLS tracks)

3) Adjustment:

-correct tempo(does not get imported)

-delete all the now empty tracks

Each track would still have information on which GM instrument it is using in the DLS Music Device although it looks like the Tempo info does not get incorporated. I am not sure about variable tempo in some SMF but it looks like variable volume...etc have been preserved.

Once the initial Template have been done, it is quite fast to import any further SMF in the future. Even creating the template takes only a couple of minutes.

I must say this solution is still far from ideal and probably not as elegant as some of the suggestions above, but at least I can import a SMF and have some control over which GM Soundbank the tracks are using. (Environment settings still mystify me!) I have created multiple templates using the different favorite Soundbanks that I have. The onboard Quicktime GM Device is just Horrid!!!!!!!! With some great GM sets a good SMF can sound great instead of the dinky fm sounds you get from the QT GM Device. Many soundbanks(GM compatible SF2) have been created with carefully selected/layered/balanced samples.

If someone else have an easier and better solution I would LOVE to hear about it. :) I was just so excited about finding this workaround after months of tearing my hair out that I just have to make this posting here hoping that it might be helpful to someone.