Orchestra for free

Hi, Im new to logic 8 haviong previously used Cubase SX3 on a PC and nearly lost all my hair with its insessant freezing.

What I was wondering if someone would guide me on is Strings.

I had Edirol Orchestra on Cubase and whilst I read that most suggest EastWest, Garritan etc Edirol suited my needs and having NO money I saw no need to upgrade to a better class.

Now Im on Logic Im without any strings and still NO money so Ive been searching. I do have Kontakt2 if thats any help but I really could do with some guidance on some sort of Orchestral plugin or stop gap that I can use to create pop strings that dont sound like a synth from the 80s.

Apologies if this has been covered numerous times and I have had a good read of the forum but i was hoping someone would be kind enough to take me by the hand and nudge me in the right direction.

Thanks so much

Lee

Really? Damn.

It was more of my friends friend really. He notorious for changing his systems all the time.

Sweeping away all hes done and restarting, it sends his fellow musicians crazy.

I'll have to track him down.

Any suggestions for the mean time? Something that would pass that I could use to record the MIDI then replace when (if) I get the discs.

Oh my God! No wonder theres no stuff about this out there if thats what comes out the box!

No none of that. :(

I suppose when I get hold of this guy Ill have to get these discs. Im cant believe how stupid Ive been. Min you Ive had the iMac a little while now and its only the last two weeks that Ive been trying to get to grips with Logic.

Im really kicking myself now.

:(

Oh my God! No wonder theres no stuff about this out there if thats what comes out the box!

No none of that. :(

I suppose when I get hold of this guy Ill have to get these discs. Im cant believe how stupid Ive been. Min you Ive had the iMac a little while now and its only the last two weeks that Ive been trying to get to grips with Logic.

Im really kicking myself now.

:(

Logic Studio shipped with tons of instruments and Apple loops, so get access to the box, you are missing a lot of goodies.

Ok, thanks so much for all your help.

Yeh the Kontakt discs have instruments on too? Jeez I feel as if Ive been ripped off and apart from him coming up trumps (ive a bad feeling about that) Im totally stuck.

Ok, thanks so much for all your help.

Yeh the Kontakt discs have instruments on too? Jeez I feel as if Ive been ripped off and apart from him coming up trumps (ive a bad feeling about that) Im totally stuck.

Sounds you are missing gigabytes and gigabytes of samples so chase down the seller.

Im getting more and more annoyed by this. Ive sent him an email obviously but yet to hear back.

Are these Logic things Im missing the same as the Jam Packs I see on Apples site?

Yep, with the exception of the Voice Jam pack, all the others were included in Logic Pro 8 Studio. I assume this is not Logic 8 Express, that didn't include all the Jam packs.

No its Logic Pro 8. I bought the machine with it on from him. As I mentioned he is constantly upgrading his setup so I thought nothing of it and he was happy to find a willing buyer. My Bank wasnt so happy with me but now I feel a little miffed and Im just wondering why he wouldnt install these packs unless he never actually needed them for his music (being basically 80s electro stuff).

@Cloggy: I got the Apple Jam packs, but those look like instruments in that screenshot (legato, pizzicato etc.) - I installed the jam packs on an external drive, did I miss some massive part of the installation? Are those orchestral instruments any good?

I only have this:

crappy-selection.jpg.c68ef3d40138c863466b6ab8f9c1699c.jpg

I think you've highlighted the Instrument Slot,and not the Channel Strip Setting slot,which you can see in my pic has a thin white line around it showing that's the sorce for the library.

If you still only have those when that's highlighted then it would seem to me you're missing something! (Installation wise).

You might want to check!

:shock:

Dat klopt! I'm only half-Dutch, maar ik wil nederlands leren. One day I'll be justified in holding my Dutch passport! :)

Seems I only installed the .caf apple loops and like I'll need 12gigs of space to install the instrument versions of the Jam Packs (no space left on my MBP).

Balls.