Auto Filter

AD

Hi all,

I am ok in Logic now but am not understanding some quite straightforward principals!

I want to automate a synth sound using the 'cut off' parameter in auto filter. The issue is with what it does to my synth even when at it's 'default' setting.

I know there are lots of parameters there but what settings do I need to ensure that only the cut off will affect it. For example, If I activate the plugin, the synth loses some of the high frequencies even with the cut off at 100%.. (which I would have thought would NOT change the synth sound at all) ??

I guess a workaround is just to automate an EQ but I want to know a solution to this! :-)

Hi fader8 thanks very much for the reply,

Funny because that's the first thing i tried :-( Even with the mod at 0% on both it still affects the sound.. Try it by comparing a sound by flicking the bypass on and off with those settings - there's a clear difference. Am I missing something here?..

Cheers,

What kind of filter do you have selected? If using the bandpass filter then yes, of course it will be a notable difference. But with a hipass or lopass, with the filter wide open, the difference is there, but minimal. A little more difference if you have the 24dB/oct filter engaged. This is normal as the filter is still in play and still shifting phase in the band even though it's not changing its level directly. You can automate an increase to the dry signal if you want to try and restore a bit of that. Or automate the bypass during passages when the filter is not in use.

Thanks guys, very helpful.

The difference is clear but minimal - I admit ;) I am actually trying to automate the main output so the entire track is filtered down, then back up again - so I obviously dont want the auto filter switched on throughout the entire track if its going to mess with the sounds without me wanting to..

Adjusting the dry signal does improve things for sure - but the top end still suffers..

I'll automate the main eq as itll save me the bother...

Cheers,