Recommendations of simple video editing apps. Mac of course!

Can anyone recommend simple video editing software for the Mac? I don't need to do much more than trim & join .mov files from my camera & then add a different audio track to them.

I have QuickTime Pro but that is pretty-much useless. It can add audio to a video but the audio really needs to edited in a different app, even just to do something as basic as a fade, & can't remove any sound already on the video.

Also, for a £20 app its video editing features are worse than on a lot of free ones like MPEG Streamclip which is what I normally use, but MPEG Streamclip can't import audio.

I just want one application that can do what I currently use three for.

Oh yes ... I'm still on a trusty old G4 running 10.4.11

Someone on another forum where I asked the same question suggested this too.

Actually I didn't even know about it as I haven't got the iLife suite. Can you actually edit with it though? From the descriptions it sounds more like you can put lots of short video clips into a long one but can you edit the individual clips?

Also, from some reviews it looks as if the current version isn't as good as the one in the '06 iLife.

Someone on another forum where I asked the same question suggested this too.

Actually I didn't even know about it as I haven't got the iLife suite. Can you actually edit with it though? From the descriptions it sounds more like you can put lots of short video clips into a long one but can you edit the individual clips?

Also, from some reviews it looks as if the current version isn't as good as the one in the '06 iLife.

iLife 08 installs the new one, as an iLife customer you get the time-line (older) version from the Apple web site (forgot the exact url). Or indeed just use Final Cut Express, cheap.

You could also do basic editing with QuickTime Pro.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I should have a chance to try iMovie this weekend.

I'm actually trying out something called FastCut at the moment. http://www.timesforfun.de/

Slightly amateurish but quite fun until I try & export!

Same price as QuickTime Pro but does at least 140 things QT Pro can't.

You could also do basic editing with QuickTime Pro.

That was what prompted this search. Buying QT Pro but then finding the free apps I had already were better. QT Pro doesn't seem to have really basic key commands that other things do, such as setting the start & end points of a clip. You can only do that moving the sliders with the mouse, & when you touch one of them the playhead snaps to it when what you are likely to want to do is move the slider to where the playhead is stopped.

The feature that really bugs is that as soon as you use a Pro feature to make some kind of edit, the spacebar that previously toggled start & stop play has switched to toggling the mute control & play has to be done with the mouse.