Logic 8 + Kontakt 2 = sluggish

mpmusicny

Anyone else notice a lot of GUI slowdown whenever Kontakt 2 is instanced in a song? Whereas previously all all drag and hold mouse operations (instance a send, instance a new plug-in, etc) would by instantaneous, after putting in Kontakt, there is sometimes a 1 - 2 second lag before the job gets done. Any ideas? Any fixes? I'm using the latest everything - Kontakt 2.2.4, OS 10.5.4, Logic 8.0.2, repaired permissions.

thanks!

Malcolm

Kontakt 2 Universal Binary was enough of a pain for me to actually stop using it, but I upgraded to ver 3 a few weeks ago and it works without a hitch now, no gui errors, no daw problems and less cpu hogging.

Upgrade, it's totally worth it.

In my opinion Native Instruments are bastards. Kontakt 2 hasn't been out for more than 2 years, and they make a few tweaks to the interface and re-release it as next version..........within days of Leopard release. Those are not good business practices. I vowed to only use cracked NI stuff from now on.

mpmusicny,

How much RAM do you have? The slowdown could be caused by memory "paging" due to lack of RAM. You may check with the activity monitor (in Utilities folder) if the number of 'page outs' increases while Logic is running. If that happens, you'd need more RAM, and Kontakt 3 wouldn't help at all.

Please let us know the result.

I'm still skeptical about the advantages of K3 over K2.

Somewhat disturbing actually. The song in question has 3 instances of K2. First problem was, K2 and K3 did not want to play together at all. i.e. If i lose one instance of K2 and replace it with K3, then try and load the same patch as was loaded in K2, I get "PANIC could not allocate enough memory" and that's the end of it - crash. this is 100% repeatable on my 1st generation 8 core w/9 GB RAM. The only way to do this was to unload all 3 K2's and then load up 3 K3's with the same patches. This works, but does not help the initial problem - just as sluggish.

Does anyone have K2 and K3 playing nice on the same song?

Interesting. I get the same thing with K3 and Kompakt playing in the same song. But this is on my old PPC machine. I'm guessing it might have to do with not having direct from disc streaming enabled? I'm in a different city now, left my K3 manual at home. Can anyone direct us to the menu/button where you can enable direct from disc streaming in K3?