Why are "good problems to have" so stressful?

I have been having a lot of "good problems to have" lately. In fact a very close friend had to open my eyes when I was telling him how stressed I was because I have so many projects, too many clients, I have to refuse students, can't schedule as many classes as I wish I could, etc etc... and he told me: "at least, it's a good problem to have!"

That remark immediately plunged me years back when I was sitting by the phone waiting for it to ring, wondering how I was going to pay the rent.

The funny thing is, I have much more stress now than then! How is that possible? Surely wondering how to pay the rent is a horrible problem to have and should be more stressful than any?

How are you guys in the same situation copping with it? So far I've dealt with it by hiring people, which has worked great.. but there are some things you just have to do yourself, right?

BTW just as an aside, I've already hired 4 or 5 people from this forum, for various jobs, and every time it's been highly successful. Reading everyone's posts is the best way for me to tell who's qualified to do what. For example, I "met" Justin (some of you may know him) here, and asked him to do an installer for me, and when I saw how good he was I had my publisher hire him to do quality control on my book. Or for example I asked Ski to fly to L.A. to do master classes on synthesis and sampling (hey, how's that for a free plug), and when I saw how much the students learned and how much they loved it last December when we did the first master classes, I knew I had to make it a quasi-regular thing!

Anyway, would love to hear your business experience as your business started (or is starting?) to take off, and how you handled things.

Right now my dream is to hire a receptionist and never answer the phone again. :lol:

I hate my job.

All i do is answer the phone.

I provide HR-type customer service. Talk to people about their health insurance, their paychecks, 401k, Garnishments, blah blah blah...

I sometimes feel like this place steals my soul.

But, I know I am paid well more than anyone in Miami, who's doing anything similar, so... It's not that bad of a problem to have....

I once had a really hot, horny, and crazy girlfriend who threatend my life on occassion. She was pretty demanding, and quite the problem child too, but now, she's long gone...

I sometimes wish I still had her as my problem...

:arrow:

I once had a really hot, horny, and crazy girlfriend who threatend my life on occassion. She was pretty demanding, and quite the problem child too, but now, she's long gone...

I sometimes wish I still had her as my problem...

This would be a great topic for a new thread here in the Lounge --- "Crazy GF/BF's That Ruined My Life (But I Still Miss Them)"

David, I agree with Kent on getting an assistant.

I'm also reminded of the cliches, "A victim of your own success", "Feast or Famine", etc. I've been there too, and being a freelancer for all but the first 3 years of my working life I've been through the cycle of waiting for the phone to ring, then getting work, then having too much work, the post-project or post-tour depressions, and then back to waiting for the phone to ring again. Then the cycle repeats. And when I get busy and complain to my friends that I'm stressed because I've got too much work, they say -- as they've said to you -- "hey, two months ago you were crying that you didn't have a gig, and now that you have work you're complaining?"

And they're still my friends! LOL!

So yes, get some "people" to help you out. Spend some of the $$$ you're making to make your life easier during these times.

Oh yes, and since you're doing so well right now, drinks are on you at the end of each seminar day, right? :mrgreen: Let's see... that would drinks on... ooh! Aug. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. In LA.

What? I should set this up with your secretary? :lol:

Ski, you'll have to read the fine prints at the bottom left of page 567 in your contract: on the first day, drinks are on me, on the second day, drinks are on you, and on the third day, the first one under the table pays for the whole night's bill.

j/k guys you know Ski and I only drink orange juice.

In L.A. the cliche is "Let's do lunch! 'll tell my guy to call your guy.". :lol:

Edited by David Nahmani

i'm a student.just finished highschool. :)

im one third through SAE Audio course. :)

im waiting for a note if i was or wasnt accepted into a music academy.

ive been trying to get a decent job (either playing, either producing/recording) for the whole summer, id take any crappy band to record their demo. :cry:

i wish i had your problems... :?

Outsourcing to some degree is good as long as you can still maintain quality control.

I know the feeling David, I'm spreading out over a lot of areas too and once things take off it can get quite stressful once in a while.

I don't think there are any real solutions apart from prioritizing more and perhaps focusing a bit more on mass selling products (books, DVD's, etc.). They do require lots of time to make but once finished don't require much time but still provide income. Depending on how you set up things it's also the closest thing to a pension fund. :-)

It's both the upside and downside of being an entrepreneur type personality. We always have more than enough jobs on our hands but we need to juggle all the time.

A big part of the stress factor is handling emails and phone calls. So I'm *trying* to follow some simple rules about when to deal with these things. This is to avoid constantly being at work even when I'm at home with my wife and my son.

It's all about boundries and learning to delegate. Having been on both sides (starving musician/successful freelancer), it's ALWAYS difficult to say 'NO' to a client. And I almost never do :) But..I also know when I'm WAYYY to burned out, and I know when to hire the RIGHT people to do things for me.

The key is also NOT to micro-manage every detail, but to trust the people you hire to do the job right. The more that trust builds, the better.

Boundries are important as well..especially if there's a wife/kids involved (unless you're like me..with no kids, and a wife who is also a freelancer...it's a madhouse...).

One bud of mine simply tells his clients "I do not work from 5-9pm so I can be with my wife and kids at the end of the day". Seems to work fine for him.

and yeah...no whining.. it's a GREAT problem to have :)

Dave, if you need a proof reader, I used to proof read legal letters for a credit card company and still take on random proof reading work sometimes.

Also, with the composing I find when I do get work it has to be done very quick and it stresses me out because so much is riding on that work if that makes sense.

If you know anyone who ever needs a composer let me know.

Edited by Amber

I need a spell checker most of the time :)

Ahhh...the joy of deadlines. Funny..they don't bug me THAT much...probably because I'm used to them..OF COURSE..it depends on how insane that deadline really is :)

I get a LOT of the 'we've been working on the videos for a month or two, spent all our money in editing and graphics, and only have two hours of budget (IF THAT) left to do all the audio post and sound design. And we need it today" kinda stuff.

wheeee :) :)

never let them see you sweat. Yeah...right.

-