Recording/Setup Automation for External MIDI Synth

erase

:shock:

Why is it when I move a parameter on a plugin while in automation mode, Logic 8 knows exactly what parameter has been automated, knows exactly what the name of the parameter is, puts the parameter in a shortcut menu off of the parameter drop down menu and finally automatically brings up the automation curves/data for me to edit. However, when I am in automation mode in Logic and I am on my external synth's MIDI track, Logic doesn't know the name of the parameters of my synth, doesn't put the parameter I just recorded of my synth in a shortcut menu and doesn't bring up the automation curve/data i just recorded? Can any one help me understand how to record automation on an external synth using the automation mode in Logic. Also, how do I put the parameters name in the drop down menu? All I have are parameters like "40 = (#09=8 LSB)" when I know they have names. The example i just gave is the "Filter Cut Off".

I understand I can do automation in the Hyper Edit Mode, but I would rather use Logic's automation mode.

Please Help

erase

Steve, thanks for your response. I'm very excited you responded to my question because I have purchased your MacProVideos for logic. They are very informative and cover such great topics. I've learned so much from them. I love the Tips and Tricks! Keep up the great work!

Is there a way to set up my Synth and Logic to allow Logic to record any controller information coming from my Synth and display it in the Automation mode. Or is this only done in the hyper editor? I'm puzzled because If I select a random parameter from the automation menu and draw in a curve, it sends this data to my synth and automates that parameter. Why wouldn't Logic be able to know what parameter I am recording from synth if it can send it?

Thanks again for your help. If you you could help me with this or have a video that covers this information please let me know, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Chad

hey Chad... I'm boarding a plane, so the short answer is: certain midi parameters on all synths have been standardized, like 7- volume, 10-pan... Etc others have not. If you look in your synth's manual you might find a list to help you determine what cc does what. Gotta go a stewardess is honing in...