Triggering a sound effect

fear4fun

I'm doing music for a kids camp this week and in the middle of a set today I had an idea. We sing something about a bus and all the kids do a horn noise. I thought it would be cool to surprise them by having an airhorn blast play.

First off, I couldn't find an airhorn in my installed sound effects, but it must be there right??

Second, how do I have a sound effect added to mainstage so that I can trigger it with my sustain pedal. (I know how to assign what 'button' I want to use for the triggering so I just need to know how to get it in there to be able to trigger it).

Is there a reason that I can't get the editor to open? Mind you, I've gone to using the ESX24 because of what I was able to find in the Logic manual.

I can't find of the .WAVS or MP3's that I've saved as sound effects. Anyime I do get a browser to search for new instruments, I can't find the ones I have, or they are not highlighted for selection.

Thanks for you're quick response by the way!

Second, how do I have a sound effect added to mainstage so that I can trigger it with my sustain pedal. (I know how to assign what 'button' I want to use for the triggering so I just need to know how to get it in there to be able to trigger it).

I'm away from my computer that has Mainstage installed so I can't verify this, but I don't think you can assign the sustain pedal to a particular note. If that is indeed the case, consider adding a keyboard split where you could assign, say, the bottom note of your keyboard to the EXS24, making sure that the horn sample is assigned to that note. (Remember you can adjust the octave of your splits anywhere you want them.)

Is there a reason that I can't get the editor to open? Mind you, I've gone to using the ESX24 because of what I was able to find in the Logic manual.

I can't find of the .WAVS or MP3's that I've saved as sound effects. Anyime I do get a browser to search for new instruments, I can't find the ones I have, or they are not highlighted for selection.

Thanks for you're quick response by the way!

Which is why I suggested Ultrabeat. If you want to use the EXS24, you first have to create and save the instrument with your sample in Logic. You can create/edit instruments in MainStage.

Use Ultrabeat, choose the setting "Drag and Drop samples" and drag and drop your sample

I could not find this feature in Ultrabeat so I searched 'drag and drop' in the manual and the hits I got lead me to the EVS24.

Walk me through the Ultrabeat way that you've described. I accessed it from my I/O on the channel strip in Mainstage which gives me the great looking 3D interface, but can't find anywhere to choose 'settings'. I bet it rights there, I'm just missing it and I'll be very embarrassed when i find it. :oops:

Again, I have found other ways of importing sounds, but once I get browsing the finder for the sound I want, they aren't highlighted.

I must say, this problem has been great! I've learned a lot I didn't really need to know, but am glad that I know now. Logic is like so many other great programs (Aperature, Photoshop, Final Cut) things are easy to access for beginners, but the possibilities endless for the pros!