Anyone use Logic 8 For Film Scoring I need help!

DamianC

Okay here's the deal I want to be able to move my region to an exact SMPTE time code. The same way you would do with a SFX at the exact time of an explosion in SMPTE.

I want to be able to place my region exactly at the spot I need it with out dragging is there a way to bring a menu to where you select a SMPTE time code where you want the region to be?

A couple of ways:

1. Use the Event Float window. Set it to view SMPTE. Select the region and type in the SMPTE location in the proper field. Hit return.

2. Place the record head at the SMPTE location. You can do this manually (changing zoom levels will effect resolution or holding down the control key after selection the playhead will give you a fine resolution independent of zoom level) or by double clicking the SMPTE display in the transport if you know the location. Select the region and use the Pick Up Clock key command.

It's totally easy to do this in Logic once you've got it down! Have fun!

Steve H.

here is a cool way to do it:

assign KC's for:

- pickup clock, move event or region to playhead.

- goto event or region.

now, all you need to do is if your playhead is in the correct position, select the event or region and hit your 'pickup clock' KC. bang your object will move to the playhead.

if you have something already in the right spot then you can use the 'goto' KC and then select and hit your pickup clock KC.

also you can simply type in the SMPTE code directly into the SMPTE field in the event editor.

I usually find that once I got the right tempo/s, all the rest needs to fall into sync with the measures.

And so, I usually have the region start on the beat, then I use the 'Video' (from Settings) to sync the video (usually a syncing mark in the video), then I set/sync SMPTE (offset usually).

That's what I do anyway. (I wish there was a way to lock movie in position, like I can with audio..)

I'm doing commercials so there is usually one hit point that needs to line up to a downbeat somewhere.

Now in 8.0.2 you can slide the video in the global track on a finer resolution than 1/4 notes like in 8.0.1. So, if you put your playhead on the musical hit you want, say bar 7 beat 3 of your track, you can then slide the movie in the global window while watching the movie screen until you see the frame you want to hit.