Really? PT over LP8 for audio only workflow?

Recording various musicians, from 1 piece to 6 piece on average but I want capability for more if needed. No midi.

Then I'd recommend Pro Tools. Very smooth workflow for an audio-only workflow. Much, much easier to learn too. Logic is great if you're a composer and sound designer. Many of us use both LP and PT regularly. The two apps are very different in purpose and focus.

At a minimum, get an 002 or 003 LE system and the DV Toolkit. Or get an HD system if you can swing it as you'll ultimately be happier with it. Far less limitations with HD.

Yes, PT has a PDF manual.

That threw me for a loop! As we say in New England, "I don't know from ProTools", and have never tried using it, but you like the audio recording workflow better in PT? Hmm...I have a Projectmix I/O I'm not using right now... would it be worth getting and learning PT M-Powered for the added audio recording advantages? I guess it would always be advantageous to learn both! I don't find the audio workflow in LP8 difficult. Finally, is there a difference in PT for Windows and OS X?

Hi

Ya know it's funny but since I've been using Logic i find it MUCH easier to work with audio than PT. :lol: PT is easy but I fly in Logic. I love the workflow. The 2 major drawbacks are No Beat Detective and no Elastic audio. I guess I'd throw no batch gaining as well. But I record rock and metal mostly so I really am not into EA. The batch gaining isn't THAT much of a PITA and I don't mind manually doing drums (Most people hate this though so BD is an important feature to many. I'd like to have it in Logic as well but...). It really does depend on your needs. But to be honest once you get a really good workflow going in ANY DAW you'll be cruisin. :D I can't say enough good things about how L8 has improved my workflow.

HAve a good one. :D

That threw me for a loop! As we say in New England, "I don't know from ProTools", and have never tried using it, but you like the audio recording workflow better in PT?

Now, before you get all bent out of shape, you have to realize that there are various definitions for "recording". I do not do a lot of recording these days, but I can tell you that in high pressure recording environments, Pro Tools has a feature edge on Logic for handling take management, etc. that Logic is a bit clumsy with. That doesn't mean you can't do it with Logic, only that PT has features and workflow that make it easier on the operator. I know it's difficult to explain this without going into a long list of specific features, but honestly, that's not the point.

From a mixdown and post-production standpoint, again, PT has an edge on making things easier for the operator. You can still accomplish much of the same things, you can just do certain things, that are important to that workflow, faster in PT.

My statement you quoted is a taken a bit out of context in that it was in response to someone stating they had no need for MIDI. For someone who simply needs to record live musicians and has no desire to do anything intensely creative, other than mixing, then Pro Tools is an excellent and very simple solution. In other words, it's workflow superbly supports the "technician" that just wants to get it captured and mixed.

When your time means money, you want to pick the best tool. Sometimes Logic is that tool and sometimes Pro Tools. It's about what job you want to do and how efficiently you want to do it. If someone sends me a 40 track soundtrack to mix and cut, I know I can get it done fast in PT. If the work order says compose, produce and mix 5 segments of music, then PT is the last app I'll turn to.

These are both excellent and mature applications. But they have their purposes. The recording/performance capture aspect is only one small part of the whole picture. Granted, the ability to have both tools, and to be proficient in both, is a luxury many can't afford. But often we don't have the luxury to be choosy and the needs of livelihood usually take precedence over personal preferences. When diversity becomes a survival mechanism, you don't quibble over tools. You use the best ones you can get your hands on and learn them fully.

I like both apps for their strengths, and dislike them both for their weaknesses. I can't help but feel fortunate that I can have both of these tools.

I do this kind of work (multitrack recording and editing) on a daily basis, and I'd agree with fader8 that PT is superior app for this kind of stuff. Mostly it's the take management, but there are a lot of subtle things (smart editing tool, automatically returnable transport, overlapping mix and edit group capabilites, ability to select and modify multiple tracks from the edit page, usable punching) that make this stuff easier in PT.

I would recommend learning to use PT if just for the simple fact that it will add another dimension to your production capabilites. Even if you're not an engineer (like me) and you don't end up using it day-in day-out, you may discover some things that you prefer to do in PT.

There is also the 'translation' aspect... I don't know what it's like in your neighbourhood, but around here pro studios and mix rooms don't have Logic. Taking a Logic project into these rooms to mix (basically as a folder full of audio files) will eat up at least an extra hour per song, spent building and dialling in the PT sessions. And that's assuming you're an experienced PT user and you're quick (or the assistant is, I guess).

Those are usually expensive and stressful hours, IME...

Merci, Marcel. I appreciate your insight. As a final question. is there a difference between PT for the the Windows paltform and PT for the Apple platform? I will be using M-Powered since I have a Projectmix I/O. Good stuff!

I have no idea about PT or any other audio apps on Windows platforms. Perhaps someone else can be more helpful with this.

Wow! I just tried the PT demo. That interface is about the ugliest application I have ever seen! Granted, once one got to know the app. it would be fine, but for my purposes as a storyteller, I'll stick with Logic! So much moe intuitive. I think I will learn the heck out of Logic before I try PT again. Thanks for all of the help here.

Granted, once one got to know the app. it would be fine,

Yeah, eye candy only lasts for so long, and then you learn to love those ugly little apps that just get the job done. Spectrafoo comes to mind.

IMO, Protools is all in the key commands. It doesn't look like much because it doesn't need to. All the cool stuff is accessible with the press of a key, or keys...

Pro Tools is way better with audio, the best set up is having both, Logic Shines with digi hardware (HD system)

If you can play music yourself, or have a decent loop library Pro Tools is very easy.., you create all your tracks in one pop, drag or record your stuff, change tempo and re size your files as desired to match tempo, bam, accurate editing.

I despise digidesign since i heard of them in 1992., and i heard of them from a few young guys who wrote a program called DECK (aka Pro Deck now Pro Tools)., and as soon as they made the first digital 8 to 16 track non linear affordable recording system SESSION 8 with Digidesign AVID buys them and starts charging 150 times the price to market Pro Deck/Tools in there Clients studios which are the majority of post houses in the US of A, been that they knew they can get more money from them since they make loads with clients like add agencies by tax right offs for there newest Digi systems almost every year., and history goes on with greed.

Hey guys, notice how bad digi was hurt when there free version of Pro Tools was out, it was a software based 8 track, and they used to claim the hardware did it all while PRo Deck 2 gave people 32 tracks native, then cubase and also logic, atleast i used to get 40 tracks, 8 busses, 3 verbs in Logic 7., this version 8 sux.