Los Angeles Logic Pro User Group meeting: Peter Schwartz!

David Nahmani

What an amazing coincidence... people call me "Ski" too! Hmmm... what do you make of that? But wait -- if that's not enough synchronicity for ya, my initials are also P.S. and I'm going to be in LA that very week! I'm tellin' ya David, this is spooky. Very spooky indeed.

:mrgreen:

If someone can film it and put it online (maybe a youtube vid) it would be much appreciated as it seems oddly enough even in London there doesn't seem to be much of a Logic "seminars and meetings" movement.. well none that i've heard off :)

Cheers

Ket

I would love to see this too - on youtube even... Doesn't need to be anything too special, but it would be great to get a vibe on the way others (esp: Ski) are using Logic..

Lock off a camera... import footage to imovie'08 and export to youtube.. :wink:

We feel pretty isolated in Australia :?

I would love to see a vid of this as well. And set to the Harp and the Bassoon set the mood.

If you could use a sensor box over Ski's face though, that'd be great. I like the mystique and allure of a faceless all-powerful Logic forum demi-god!

Good luck in your workshop Ski. I'd give dkgross's left nut to be able to attend. Alas, I can no longer get my hands on his left nut to be able to give it to you, so I won't be able to make it, hence my request for a youtube vid sans your face (in the nicest way possible of course).

Let me know how it turns out!

X

Who is Peter Schwartz?

I dunno, some guy... Who happens to be, um, me.

:mrgreen:

X-man, thanks for the sentiment re wanting to be here in LA to see me shpiel. Something tells me that you'd have a better chance of absconding with DK's left nut than you would his left shoe (I see you've visited the networking thread, so you probably know what I mean). And the "demi-god" reference? Nah, I'm no demi-god. Rather, I like to think "demitasse" as I do love my coffee... :D

Cheers guys!

Somebody needs to film this for the rest of us!

:wink:

I'm asking this forever.

In all Logic groups.

NY, Seattle, LA...

There are very few Logic Group meetings on video and online.

C'mon.

Give the people living overseas the chance to see what's going on those meetings.

:)

C'mon!

Take your HD video cameras out...

...Well, I accept mini DV quality too....

...Ok I'll take cel phone quality on you tube...

But the important is to let us be a part of it.

Funny thing about about what you are saying, Dani - is that we just opened an Apple Store in Baton Rouge, La, (where I am) - and this very thing has been on my mind for a couple of months now.

I may have to contact a couple of people to see what I need to do to get a SLUG for my area. I would be more than happy to video each and every meeting we would hold.

That would be cool ...

If someone can film it and put it online (maybe a youtube vid) it would be much appreciated as it seems oddly enough even in London there doesn't seem to be much of a Logic "seminars and meetings" movement.. well none that i've heard off :)

Yeah. I went to one in the Regent Street Apple Store, and really felt that it was, um, *entry level* at best...

But yeah, it would also be cool to see some vid of our ol' pal iS in full flow...

The LA Logic User's Group meeting took place this evening. It was truly a pleasure to have had this opportunity to be the guest speaker. I want to thank all of those who attended for coming to hear me speak (with three who came all the way from Las Vegas!), for your warm welcome, and your kind comments about my work.

And of course, many thanks to David for inviting me and making it all happen.

Kind Regards to All,

Ski

(Peter "Ski" Schwartz)

The LA Logic User's Group meeting took place this evening. It was truly a pleasure to have had this opportunity to be the guest speaker. I want to thank all of those who attended for coming to hear me speak (with three who came all the way from Las Vegas!), for your warm welcome, and your kind comments about my work.

And of course, many thanks to David for inviting me and making it all happen.

Kind Regards to All,

Ski

(Peter "Ski" Schwartz)

Hey Ski -

For those of us who couldn't make it last nite, perhaps you could post a recap of what you talked about, maybe with some examples? That would be very cool. Waddya think?

cheers

I forgot to ask - but was there a video recorded of the event?

Enquiring minds want to know!//

:)

No, the meeting was not filmed.

I'm convinced that they don't want us to learn their secret handshake .... either that or SKI had a topsecret version of the upcoming snow leopard OS that he was demoing for them. From what I hear (read 'hear' as 'imagined') snow leopard has a new feature that allows logic to read files in your itunes library and then automaticly creates a CST for you to put on your output channel strip resulting in a perfectly masered file using the various properties of the source track as a template. If you don't hear from me for a few days, it's because steve jobs has come back from the future to prevent me from revealing more details about snow leopard.

Hey Ski -

For those of us who couldn't make it last nite, perhaps you could post a recap of what you talked about, maybe with some examples? That would be very cool. Waddya think?

Sure, I could do a lil' recap. I'm at the airport now, so I have a little time. Let's see...

I started by showing an example of an Environment I created for the purpose of playing in realistic harp glissandi. I discussed some of the mechanics of harp writing and the limitations that sampled harp glissandi sometimes present to the MIDI orchestrator (samples having the wrong tempo for the song, wrong start/end notes, etc.). This environment lets you overcome those limitations by letting you perform real-time glissandi on the white keys (7 white notes on the keyboard, 7 strings to the octave on a harp, a perfect match!). The environment consists of a series of chord memorizers, each one of which re-maps the white keys in a specific way so that playing glisses on the keyboard results in authentically tuned harp scales in different modes and keys. Each mode/key is listed in the menu.

Next I showed how I took a set of harp samples from a very old library (only one velocity layer) and programmed EXS-24 to produce a very expressive and realistic-sounding instrument from it. I discussed how volume and timbre change with dynamics and how to simulate this using EXS-24. Techniques I showed included velocity-->sample start time, velocity-->filter cutoff, etc.

Then I played a composition I wrote around that harp sound and answered a question about my compositional approach, and, why I like to write things in 5/8 time 8) . For a single 4-note string gesture in the piece, I showed how I used three separate samples on three separate tracks (from three different libraries) to create the effect. Discussed my philosophy that it's necessary to use multiple sample libraries, and, the notion that sometimes it's more important to create an emotive impression of an orchestra than to strive for absolute realism.

I showed how to program a staff style and, in conjunction with the voices to channels function (and the explode polyphony function) how it can be used to examine how many voices I had played in a polyphonic clarinet part. Discussed how this kind of programming is highly effective and rendering french horn parts (didn't have a chance show an example though).

I'm sure I'm leaving things out... Originally the topics I was slated to discuss included analog synthesis, the score editor, and more. But the time really flew and I didn't get to cover it all. There were questions from (and discussions between) members of the LUG, and the time really flew! I concluded by showing some of my composer's reel.

Maybe if I'm good Santa Nahmani will leave an invitation under the Logic Tree to come back to LA to cover those topics... :mrgreen: