Dual machine workflow question

Hi folks,

I'm new to Logic 8 so I don't know how this will work, but basically I have both a Macbook 2GHz C2D and a new iMac 2.8GHz. I want to basically be able to work on projects on either machine and somehow sync them - is there an easy way to do this transparently?

Main reason is that more often than not I might wish to take the Macbook to the instrument(s) rather than the instrument(s) to the iMac, if that makes sense.

I also have a Zoom H4 for the really awkward stuff, though - it's handy insofar as I can grab ad hoc performances and ideas without involving either Mac, and it's given me great results so far. But that's just an extra tool I have at my disposal...

Cheers,

John

I'm new to Logic 8 so I don't know how this will work, but basically I have both a Macbook 2GHz C2D and a new iMac 2.8GHz. I want to basically be able to work on projects on either machine and somehow sync them - is there an easy way to do this transparently?

The easiest way I can think of would be to purchase an external drive and save your projects to that drive. Then you just have to plug that drive in the computer you want to use.

I have a few external drives - is it that easy?

I have a 120Gb drive in the Macbook and was planning on changing this to a 320Gb one - that would liberate a spare drive that doesn't require a power adaptor (i.e. powered over USB with an appropriate case) which would be ideal - doubt I'd need instant access to any more than a few songs and libraries at a time.

So, are there any 'gotchas' I need to know about before starting to structure my work this way? The only thing that springs to mind would be to put the samples and loops and instruments onto the drive, or at least ensure both machines have exactly the same AU, etc., setups?

Thanks,

john

When you first save a project, there's a ticky tacky to select "include assets" this will copy all of the samples you use from your sample library and save a copy of them in the project folder.

This will make your project much more transportable, but will also quickly increase the girth of your project folders. (With lots of duplicate information.)