Reason user frustrated with change

Has anyone here switched totally from Reason to logic? Did you find that after learning Logic that your workflow and creative output ended up with better results? Did you write better songs faster?

I was getting pretty damn good at Reason, getting tracks up and running and sounding great quickly. But of course I needed audio for vocals, so I got logic.... and now I don't know what the hell I am doing anymore.

Logic sounds really good compared to reason to my ears. And right now I am more of a pre-set sound guy, who likes to tweak a little later. The whole thing looks like the deck of the Enterprise, the sequencer is fun, it's what pros use... but damn.

Did I make the right choice? I have watched several videos from macprovideo. I have the book this site advertises and have gotten a little into it... I want to learn this program well. I'm getting there.

But I miss the simplicity of the redrum, how it was easy to change single drum sounds, the drum lane editor in reason, the ease of the reason sequencer, how I could have a favorites list of patches. But logic seems to have better sound. But there's too many choices. Too many synths and effects. I know that's a good thing but it is just overwhelming to me.

I feel like I just started learning computer music. All I've ever used is Reason.

People re-wire, but I don't see the point in having two sequencers.

I'm just wondering, since I'm so comfortable with reason, if maybe I got sidetracked with this program. YES I want to take this stuff seriously... my brain just needs to make new connections I guess.

You're going to get a bunch of varied answers from everyone.

I, personally, use Reason to start the writing process. I'll open up the program, tweak away, and once I have something going, I'll bring in LP8 after that, transfer my sounds, and start to experiment further with both programs. I just feel very comfortable with Reason. Logic is still very new to me, so Reason is my security blanket.

I'm glad you're finding Logic adequate enough for all your needs, though!

Well I'm still struggling here, I don't know if it will meet all my needs since I don't know it well enough to see how it trumps Reason. I did get the macprovideo on Ultrabeat. It's over-complicated but I'm interested in getting better at it, even though I don't think beat creation is as intuitive as Reason.

People re-wire, but I don't see the point in having two sequencers.

Why not? If you have things that you think are better done in Reason, do them in Reason and Rewire or bounce the results to Logic.

I think it's a big fat trap to think that you can find a single sequencer that does everything exactly the way you want it to.

Use whatever is best for you.

Well I find Reason easier to use (I use the Reason 3 at the moment).

Easier to create sounds + use the effects + do the automation curves.

I think they have better audio/vocal editing in Reason 4, at least what I have seen in their promos....

But, LP8 has richer sounds (sure you can get richer sounds in Reason too, but then you need to use more than 1synth), also the support for AU units is so cool!

But I still hate the automation in LP8, it's just a pain, in Reason automation is so easy.

But if I would HAVE to choose only one...

That would be so hard decision!!

Maybe LP8 (since it has the AU support).

I went through the same thing. Still going through it actually.

I am missing reason for its freedom with routing. I think reason was good for me over the last 3 years as for understanding signal path.

Logics richer fatter sound is what turned me.

Reason 3's sound just doesnt have that richness unless you really work it. Which I have only been able to achieve once in 3 years and been happy with it.

Logic sounds great straight up. so I bought it.

I was a little frustrated with things being different for a whil but like any program, when it is new to you, you just need to take the time it takes to go through the learning curve.

I did it with reason and cubase and now logic. Logic seems to be the best overall.

I liked reasons cpu friendly- ness. But it was a pain with using audio .

logics help menu is great. and this website is great too.

Oh yeah and PLUG INS!!!!!! woo hoo.

any way you can rewire.

Oh and ultra beat shows the note when you are shifting pitch. redrum doesnt.

Handy for tuning bass line and kick drum.

But, LP8 has richer sounds (sure you can get richer sounds in Reason too, but then you need to use more than 1synth)

Logics richer fatter sound is what turned me.

Reason 3's sound just doesnt have that richness unless you really work it. Which I have only been able to achieve once in 3 years and been happy with it.

You guys seriously need to upgrade to Reason 4. If you heard the god-send known as Thor (aptly named), you would be eating your straw hats by now.

I'd like to see what Thor can do. I understand you can use that one synth for the majority of your sounds. Logic has a lot of synths and it would probably take me forever to really understand what the strength of each one is.

I downloaded the demo of Analog Factory, just so I get some of the simplicity back in Logic, but it doesn't have many sounds to demo. Still sounds cool though.

I still need to learn more about logic, so at a later date I suppose I could combine the two. I am eager to get my workflow back up to when I was in Reason and could get a nice song going with minimum fuss.

I'd like to see what Thor can do. I understand you can use that one synth for the majority of your sounds.

Definitely. Although I like to use Subtractor a lot (I've created some cool patches that seem to end up as "my sound"), Thor is essentially the only thing you would ever need. The possibilities are endless, and with regards to the above complaints, this mega-synth sounds like a thunderstorm, it's that thick.

I feel so dirty just talking about it. I need to take a shower. :lol:

So you think Thor compares with the synths in Logic? That would be pretty cool. For me the trade off was... make music easy, and be really creative, Reason, but have it sound cheap. Have great sounds but a long laborious songwriting process, use Logic, lol. I know that just shows my skill/knowledge level.

One sort of strange thing in Logic as compared to Reason 3 is how every time you record it automatically creates "clips", but Reason 4 does the same thing. I sort of preferred deciding if I was going to have grouped regions or not, but seems like this is going to be the default for all sequencers.

I don't know. I suppose I could use Reason like I always did, then use logic for some of the acoustic type sounds, and vocals obviously.

I love Redrum, Ultrabeat is so cool looking, and does some neat stuff, but the actual creating of beats is much easier in Reason (to me). Do I really need TWO drum machines?

The sound of the beats themselves, to me is important. I was experimenting with the mastering in Reason on my drums, and out of the box the drums in Logic sound good, no tweaking. Argh.

It just seems weird to me to use two sequencers. If logic is the more advanced, then it would follow that I'd get more from mastering IT'S sequencer instead of Reason's.

I'm just growing beyond what I know. Some people use logic, reason, live, plus a whole bunch of third party plug-ins and have a set-up that works for them. I'd really have to have a larger understanding to see how all that complexity could help me rather than slow-down the songwriting process.

im a reason user since 2.0..now version 4..and yeah! the new version is awesome! improve my workflow with new features plus great sounding THOR!..back then i rewire it with cubase...now im an LP 8 user which i think the most complete DAW out-of-the-box package with amazing price cut from the previous version.

recently i start composing a piece with two version..one with reason 4 and the other with LP 8..i ended up using both with the reason version rewired to LP 8..after same changes here and there, it sounded even better which i ended up using the third one as final.

Both program really great! and when rewired....superb!

So,...dont switch. Use Both!