Is this a good way to use drum samples?

Skewzme

First allow me to say I am new to Logic.

After recording some drum tracks with lackluster results, I started exploring the use of drum samples triggered by plug ins. I downloaded trial versions of Aptrigga and Drumagog.

Both work great and are easy to use. However, I didn't have any samples I liked, so my drummer and I recorded a sample of his snare drum as a test. Using the Sample Editor, I trimmed the file down so it only contained the actual snare sound (basically, just deleted the few seconds of recording time in front of and behind the actual snare wave) After that, we saved the file in our folder of other drum samples, inserted Aptrigga on the snare track of a song we recorded, and loaded our own drum sample.

To my surprise, it worked!!!!! The snare sample sounds much better than the snare did in original recording. I suppose it's because we had much more control over it and there is zero bleeding since the sample has no background noise.

I like the idea of using samples of my drummer since the sound is him and not somebody else, but is this method a good approach? Now I'm thinking we need to record samples of the kick and toms as well. Is it commonplace for drumers to record and use samples of their own kits during the mixdown process ?

but is this method a good approach? Now I'm thinking we need to record samples of the kick and toms as well. Is it commonplace for drumers to record and use samples of their own kits during the mixdown process ?

I can't speak for how common it is for the drummer to do it it, but I've done it in spite of the drummer!

Yes, it's been a common approach since the birth of samplers. When needed, that is. I'll usually just use Logic's EXS sampler for this these days, but if you're more comfortable with a 3rd party plug, then by all means have at it.

I've known several other producers who will sample the whole kit in-situ before the band packs up and leaves the studio. Always helps to keep your options open.

]

;]
I'll usually just use Logic's EXS sampler for this these days, but if you're more comfortable with a 3rd party plug, then by all means have at it..

Can you do this with Logic's EXS sampler? I tired using it, but I could only get it to playback kits, not individual drum sounds.