Working with "Strings"

Do any of you work with orchestration very much? I'm recording string quartet parts for some songs and have a question. It is kind of difficult to make transitions between notes without a sort of phase-shifting sound from one note to the next, if anyone knows what I mean. Does anyone have a method of making moving chords sound natural when, e.g., using bass, cello, and viola together?

If you can figure out what I mean because you've encountered the same problem, let me know. For the most part, it's OK, but there is this quasi-synthesized sound on some of the transitions between chords and I'd like to figure out how to get a really natural sound.

I'm using bass, cello, viola, and 2 violins, all legato. I'll make sure I don't have quantize on and see if there are any overlaps. I have absolutely no music theory training, and just include lines that sound right, trying to keep the orchestration to its bare minimum. One of my favorite arrangers was always Paul Buckmaster, who was seldom "over the top" with his arrangements, but it always sounded just right....