Time Machine Algorithm: Allowing pitch to rise

amnestic

Hello everyone.

So, I've tried to read up on time stretching in the manual, as well as the iZotope info for Radius (which I also own), to figure out how to do what I want to do.

I'm doing a cover song. The cover song uses a sample from an old 20s jazz tune (around 85 bpm), but sped up to the song's tempo (104 bpm). I didn't want to just cut the sample from the cover song itself. I wanted to recreate the sample myself using the Time Machine Algorithm.

The Time Machine Algorithm is smart. It thinks I want to make the jazz audio sample the same pitch and formation, just at a faster tempo. However, I want it to do what most people don't want it to do: allow the tempo shift to also affect the pitch!

I've been playing around with the settings, and I'm wondering-- is there any way for the tempo shift to directly affect the pitch/harmony transposition? It appears that these are two separate functions in the algorithm, each needing their own tinkering. I don't know what the transposition would be, I just know that the tempo shift from 85 to 104bpm will create the proper pitch.

Any help would be much appreciated!

You can use the Time & Pitch machine for the old-school pitch shift technique (faster speed = higher pitch - ala vinyl)

Open up Time & Pitch Machine

Select 'classic' in the MODE drop down menu.

classic means that pitch (transposition) and tempo are now linked

In Classic MODE, you have to set PITCH (which then automatically calculates & displays the TEMPO shift).

To go from 85 to 104 bpm - Set Transposition to 350 cent. This will give you a bpm of 104.0430.

If that is not exact enough.. process your sample using classic mode to 104.0430, then use free MODE to convert down to 104.000.

Have fun.

I would also try several of the free audio editors (audacity, etc) to process the sample from 85 - 104 bpm. They produce totally usable and old-skool results. Sometimes really unique and interesting stretches/ flutters. Good for Harmonies using several of your samples stretched using different algorithms.

Both of your replies were very helpful, thank you!

Unfortunately, this sample is a very hard and complex thing to achieve, as the proper pitch is needed, due to the fact that all of the chords are played off of it.

As I don't know the proper pitch for the sample, and the artists aren't people I can simply e-mail and ask personally, I'm assuming I'm out of luck.

Of course, this can be seen as a challenge, so if anyone has OCD and really wants to rip through this one, I'll reveal the cover song and the original track that the sample originates from.

Now, mind you, I bet you're wondering: "Why doesn't he just cut the sample from the tune he plans to cover?"

Good idea, but I won't be able to this as there's a bass line coming in on the final downbeat of the intro. :(

I'm totally confused as to where your "sample" is coming from if not the original sound recording BTW.

In any case, put whatever sound you are using in the EXS sampler as a sample. Then you can change its pitch/playback speed by playing different notes on your keyboard (in combination with the pitch bend wheel as necessary) to get exactly the speed or pitch that you want.

I'm totally confused as to where your "sample" is coming from if not the original sound recording BTW.

In any case, put whatever sound you are using in the EXS sampler as a sample. Then you can change its pitch/playback speed by playing different notes on your keyboard (in combination with the pitch bend wheel as necessary) to get exactly the speed or pitch that you want.

1. Sample = from an old 20s jazz tune

2. Song that I'm covering = used the jazz tune sample, sped up, as the main melody motif

I'm trying to get that sample (#1) to the right pitch so that I can do a cover song (#2).

That's a very good idea with the EXS, I'll try that. But I think I'm fairly close using arafel's method. Maybe just a few ticks off the proper tempo, but I think the average listener wouldn't notice. Or so, I hope.