Filmmaker needs rec on interface for Logic

Hi Logic people,

I'm a filmmaker and I've used PTools for years to build mixes, mostly because it's a standard in our industry.

I'm looking to switch to Logic because I need capable surround (5.1) software. Can you folks recommend a firewire or PCI interface that works really well with Logic for under $500? I need low or no latency, at least 6 analog outputs, hardware that is well supported with updated drivers for Mac/Logic. I have a 2.8Ghz 8 core machine. Presently looking at Focusrite Saffire.

Thanks a bunch,

Russ

Check out the MOTU Ultralite:

2 mic pres + 6 inputs

8 outputs

Midi in and out

Spdif in and out

Solidly built

Great drivers

I switched from M-Audio to this one and couldn't be happier.

Goes for 550 on the internet like Sweetwater.com

There's nothing amazing out there for less than 500 with your needs.

Thanks for the reply triplets. I have been looking at the MOTU Ultralite, which looks very good and seems to be from a reliable company.

I might go for the Ultralite, but practically speaking, I'll never be recording through this interface. I'll be using it for playback during editing and mixing. Isn't there a good, reliable, well supported interface for monitoring a 5.1 mix and that plays nice with Logic which I wouldn't be paying for quality mic preamps when I lay down my cash?

Thanks,

-Russ

Thanks for the reply triplets. I have been looking at the MOTU Ultralite, which looks very good and seems to be from a reliable company.

I might go for the Ultralite, but practically speaking, I'll never be recording through this interface. I'll be using it for playback during editing and mixing. Isn't there a good, reliable, well supported interface for monitoring a 5.1 mix and that plays nice with Logic which I wouldn't be paying for quality mic preamps when I lay down my cash?

Thanks,

-Russ

It is going to be discontinued and is going for $19

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/firewave

Hi Shiver,

I do know about the Griffin - that would actually support Logic? $19 is a price that can't be beat but the stereo mini-plugs are somewhat of a problem. I'm going to need 1/4", XLR, or RCA mono at the least; ideally, the interface should have 6-8 discrete mono outputs. Having on board dolby decoding isn't really necessary.