Macbook / Firewire question

I recently purchased a MOTU 828mk3 interface. Considering that the macbook only has 1 firewire port, will I be able to daisy chain an external hard drive to the interface and experience better performance?

Up to this point, I am still using the macbook's internal hard drive and yesterday while recording 7 simultaneous audio tracks I noticed completely spiked I/O disk usage as well as LONG stalls while hitting Record.

Logic Pro 8

Macbook 2 GHz Intel Core Duo

4 GB RAM

MOTU 828mk3

I'm using a MacBook with a Duet and a Glyph FireWire external drive (it's a FW 800 drive).

Here is what I do:

The Duet goes into the drive (with FW cable).

The drive goes into the MacBook (FW 800 to FW 400 - that cable cost me around 50$).

Of course, the external drive must be a 7200. The 5400 internal drive of the MacBook is not fast enough.

I was not sure about daisychaining a FW800 drive into the FW400 of the MacBook but everything works really great.

I'm using a MacBook with a Duet and a Glyph FireWire external drive (it's a FW 800 drive).

Of course, the external drive must be a 7200. The 5400 internal drive of the MacBook is not fast enough.

hmmm...i recently dialed in a somewhat similar setup (different external drive than you) but instead hook the duet straight into MBP (5400rpm internal) and have yet to run into any significant problems (just the occasional "-10011" error, which apparently is rather common regardless of drive speed?).

did you change your configuration b/c of problems on the 5400 drive?

Here is what I do:

The Duet goes into the drive (with FW cable).

The drive goes into the MacBook (FW 800 to FW 400 - that cable cost me around 50$).

I was not sure about daisychaining a FW800 drive into the FW400 of the MacBook but everything works really great.

That's great to know, thanks. I guess that FW 800 to FW 400 cable is key eh? I'm sure I could get that on newegg.com (that's where i plan to get my drive)

Do you use your external for anything other than logic project files?

I use the Glyph drive for Logic files, Final cut pro files and pictures files. I also have another drive for my back ups.

All my software are on the internal drive and all my files are on externals. I really think that it's better to keep the system and the files separate... and I strongly suggest to have a 7200 drive for maximum speed.

And, again, 800 to 400 works fine !

Ciao !

wow, http://www.macsales.com is the shiat, thanks for that link.

stefrich, is there any way you could show me which firewire 800 to 400 cable you're using? I'm looking at some options online now and they're nowhere near $50, so I want to make sure I'm getting the correct type.

Here are the cables I'm looking at http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/add-ons-and-hubs/cables