4 david....further to my hd question

hi

a couple of weeks ago you helped me reach the conclusion that recording to my internal 7200 mbp drive would be mire useable than my fw400 5400rpm drive

i am currently wiping my internal drive , in preparation to install a much simpler image that i made a while back wuth super duper

while i'm in the position to be able to partition the empty drive, do you think it would be worthwhile creating a small partition for audio (a la pantomimehorse), on the far outer ring of the drive just to squeeze the most i can out of the drive

i'm thinking of a 10gig partition to store and move any projects that i'm currently working with

my only thought is that it might be too much movement for the system drive to be moving in between these partitions

any thoughts, maestro ??? :)

I wouldn't partition the drive. I'm not saying Pantomime's technique doesn't work, and I think he probably knows more about hard drives than I do. But to me really, my workflow and efficiency when I'm working is much more important than the speed of my system. I'd rather waste a little speed on my system and have a simple, fast and efficient workflow, than have that little bump in speed but have to pay for it by always having to swap the current project from one partition to another...

So if it was me I wouldn't partition anything. I would start working with the drive, and if you're unhappy with the performance, I would consider an eSATA card and an external eSATA 7,200rpm drive for your Logic project folders.

thanks for the answer

just to clarify...i know you deal with hundreds of threads :)

i already use a lacie external fw800 7200 drive for audio.......but i'm moving to a place where that won't be possible for quite a while.....i'm gonna be using my laptop , running from the battery while out on location...i'll have no access to power points (hence not using the lacie) except to charge the battery.... nor will it be possible to use an expresscard solution, as they don't offer host power.....

i have a iomega fw400 5400 rpm external (host powered) , but you reckoned that i'd be better off using the internal given the option of either

this will be a completely different workflow that i will be using for about the next year......it will be no hassle for me to transfer the projects over as and when i need them if there is a performance boost

i wonder when p.horse gets back....hmmmm....

thanks again for your help

actually , there is a very convincing argument for setting up a partition for current audio work on the outermost part of the AUDIO drive

what i'm not sure about is whether the same benefit could be had from doing the same thing if using the SYSTEM drive to record audio ,on location

You'll get no benefit in doing this on the system drive.

hmmm...curious as to why not

if i'm just going to be recording guitar audio....why not put it onto the fastest part of the drive

not to want to cause too much argument, but i've already done it(as per p.horse's instructions)

once i've finished the process of reinstallation, im gonna burn a backup of my drive, so i can always remove the partition

it's just that what he explained made a lot of sense

oh well :roll:

if i'm just going to be recording guitar audio....why not put it onto the fastest part of the drive

Hey el-bo,

You sort of have to define "performance" in your case. If you're just recording 1 or 2 channels, even at 96k, then disk throughput/activity is minimal. Given that you've allowed OSX it's chance to keep your system drive healthy and defrag'd. In this case, "performance" isn't really the issue.

But if you're going to do a lot of chopping and editing, and you want to be able to use some utility to quickly defrag that partition, then yes, there's a small benefit to the faster partition.

thanks

i will be using the computer to lay down parts against backings that i've already prepared with soft instruments...these , i will bounce down to a stereo audio track to minimise processing

at the most, i'll be recording 8 tracks of guitar, one at a time, with minimal use of effects

i don't anticipate doing much editing for quite a while...just need to get the meat of the tracks down....at the time when i wanna start chopping and editing, i will be able to use my fw800 external drive

so really the partition is just a little scratch pad, that i can keep clean and defragmented

i am not so worried with having the odd hiccup during playback....but i want to give myself the best chance of getting through a recording pass without too much problem

i've alloted 10 gig so far on the partition....

i'm close to finishing the reinstallation and doing a superduper back-up

if y'all think i'm really wasting my time, i'll re-format the internal as one parrtition....

thanks again

sorry to keep going over it but i have to be sure....i won't be able to easily change this for quite a while