G5 Firewire Warning and Advice...

I am coming to Logic 7 from Pro Tools LE.

I wanted to report what Digi has found, and find out whether that is specific to Digi, or whether Logic also must be watched for this.

I'm on a Dual G5 2G. When I first used the 002R with Pro Tools, I was getting a lot of BUFFER ERROR messages. Playback would stop and it would advise me to increase the buffer size. I would, but this wouldn't help. Finally I contacted Digi, and they said to make sure that all firewire drives, and the 002R, were connected to the FRONT of the G5. They said that should help, and it did. They believe Apple has problems with the rear Firewire buss.

I am wondering if anyone up here has heard of this, or whether this is a Digi only thing. Digi suggests making their 002R the final link in the firewire chain, all coming from the front of the G5.

Thanks

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

there is something wrong with the G5 and firewire.

i can not use certain devices together for example my tascam fw1884 in the back and a lacie porsche portable in the front...

i couldn't load up fw1884 in the back either until 10.4.6 ! very weird.

Still can not use the portable porsche disk in the front, it just won't load... some say it is because it's not powered.

in the back it works.

i do have a pci firewire card, where i had connected the fw1884 before.

FWIW, i run a FireFace800 on the 800 port and from the rear port i have the Apple Cinema DIsplay Hub with one device on each port. An iPod and an Ice Cube FW case with a hard disk in it that i only use for backups.

Hello Tom,

For what it's worth -- I'm on a G5 dual 2 Tower, with the FW 800 on the back.

My FireFace800 is in the rear 800 port and an external Firewire cased drive in a rear 400 FW port and (when I'm editing video) a Sony camcorder in the front 400 FW port.

Over time, I've discovered that startup with the FireFace 800 doesn't work when the front FW port video is in use. I need to startup and then power up/plug-in that FW video in the front port once everything else is booted.

PETE