is the Avalon VT 737 combo pre worth it? and....

Hi there,

I have the Avalon 737 sp and in my opinion it's my favorite pre amp ever and I\ve used all the top ones in my studio. Having said that, I think the compressor is not the best in it, but decent for tracking. There are better compressors out there.

I don't have the digi 002, so I can't comment on it, but my intern room at my studio had a digi 001 and the analog to digital converters on it sucked. If the 002 is the same, I would invest in an Apogee analog to digital converter and input the Avalon into that and come out digital into the 002. Then you would have a great tracking channel, and you could then take your session to any studio to mix that had more gear and wouldn't have to worry about the sound suffering from poor tracking or clocking issues.

...Hope this helps.

In the future, I would also reccomend an RME card. They are incredible for the price!

Best regards,

Dream

• 3 weeks later...

Just passing ths on...

There's a very simple mod for the compressor. Check their website or call (949) 492-2000. You change one resistor on the compressor circuit and the attack gets much faster. You can send the unit back to them and they'll do the mod, or if you get the info, you can take it to your own tech or do it yourself. Very simple, makes a huge difference.