Ski's Legato Portamento Maker

I created this environment scheme based on this post

PURPOSE

If your synth has portamento (glide) but doesn't have a legato portamento feature, this environment will simulate legato portamento for you.

HOW IT WORKS

If you play legato notes you'll hear portamento between the notes. If you play detached notes, you won't hear portamento. In other words, legato portamento! :D And BTW, this will work on any sound, monophonic or polyphonic, per the requirements:

REQUIREMENTS

Your synth must respond to CC#65 (standard CC for Portamento On/Off), and, have a portamento or glide parameter.

TECHNICAL DESCRIPTION

When you play a note, this environment generates a CC#65=127 command (portamento=on). Since portamento has now been switched on, you are at-the-ready to play legato notes and kick in the portamento effect. But if the environment detects that only one note was played and then released, a port=off command is generated as soon as you release that note. This lets you play detached notes without hearing portamento between them.

NOTES

• Created in Logic 7.2.3, tested in Logic 8.0.2. The attached file is a 7.2.3 file but will open just fine in Logic 8.

IMPORTING INTO YOUR LOGIC SONG

Open the file (attached), do a Select All (CMD-A) in the Clicks & Ports layer, and copy (CMD-C). Close this song.

Open your own song, open the Clicks & Ports layer, CMD-A and DELETE. Then CMD-V paste. What you see below should now appear in your Clicks & Ports layer.

http://www.score2picture.com/logicpix/legport.jpg

You'll see there's an on/off switch. You need to turn it on to Logic when you want to use this effect. When switched on, portamento data will be recorded into your track. So turn it on, try it out! But remember --- your target synth MUST respond to CC#65 (not all do), and, you need to turn up the portamento value on the synth.

FUTURE UPDATES

I'll update this thread (and the environment) if there's enough interest in it. Plans include...

1. Consolidating the programming to make it more streamlined.

2. Making a macro out of this environment so that it can be modularly installed into other complex environments without having to do a lot of painstaking re-wiring of existing objects.

3. Modifying it so that it will work with hardware and software synths that don't respond to CC#65, or, synths that have no actual portamento switch (physical or virtual) but do have a portamento or glide parameter. I already have a working version for ES1, but again, I'll post it if there's enough interest in this scheme.

Legato Port.lso.zip

Edited by ski

OK, thanks for clarifying majool.

One thing to check: in the environment itself, the object named "voice counter" needs to start with a value of zero. If for some reason it's not set to zero, manually change it to zero and then try again. I'll look forward to hearing about your results! 8)

Our fearless leader, David, has requested that I post a version of this environment that will work with Logic synths. So attached is a ready-to-go Logic 8 version that works with ES1.

This version works a little differently than the one above. Here you must set the portamento time in the environment, not on the synth. But I made it easy to access this portamento time control vis a vis a cool lil' floating window (see screenshot below). Like the previous version, you have to tell Logic when you want to use it via the on/off switch.

If you record a part with this function turned on and look at the event list afterwards, you will see a bunch of "fader" events (which adjust the portamento time for the plugin). You will see that they bounce between a value of zero (portamento off) and the value you dialed in for "portamento time" in the environment window.

Per my previous post, if there's enough interest in this I will investigate how to make this work with other Logic synths and post updates of this environment.

floatlp.jpg.1c1346881f0d1dc255279b711db1b2d0.jpg

ES1 Legato Portamento.logic.zip

• 5 months later...

Attached is a modification that works with Sculpture. Works great in mono and legato modes. Operation in poly mode (with a voice count of more than 1), however, is sketchy due to the weird way Sculpture allocates voices (has nothing to do with this environment programming). Still, might be useful.

Note that when using this scheme, portamento time is controlled exclusively using the environment-based glide time knob.

Sculpture LegPort Helper.zip