This 70's sound...what is it called and how to get it?

Ok, I am after this 70's "efefct" sound that is very typical for those 70's disco songs... Here is a short sample loop where you can hear what I mean:

http://www.speedyshare.com/592834654.html

(knock on the wood and Ring my Bell)

So any ideas, what that sound is called?

And how to make similar sound in LP8?

I did find a bit similar sound in LP8's Loops -> Beats called "House Fever Beat 03".

But is there any other? or any way how to make it myself?

Those are called "syndrums".

Attached are two very basic syndrum patches. The first is for EXS24 (you don't need any samples). The second is for ES2.

syndrum very basic.pst goes in:

HOME > Library > Application Support > Logic > Plug-In Settings > EXS24

syndrum very basic2.pst goes in:

HOME > Library > Application Support > Logic > Plug-In Settings > ES2

syndrum very basic 2.pst

syndrum very basic.pst

Oh thank you so so much!

This is just great!

I just love these sounds :D

By-the-way...

Any ideas of more songs where this syndrum is used (I only remember these 2 songs the Ring My Bell + Knock On The Wood, but I know there are more, I just can't remember the names..)?

Glad you liked them!

Oh, man, there were 1,000,000 songs that used that sound back in the day. For some reason, "Musique" (the group that did Push Push in the Bush) might have had them on one song. You might just make me break out some vinyl and double-check! 8) But otherwise, I'm drawing a blank too. If a title pops into my head I'll post back with it.

Cheers!

Glad you liked them!

Oh, man, there were 1,000,000 songs that used that sound back in the day. For some reason, "Musique" (the group that did Push Push in the Bush) might have had them on one song. You might just make me break out some vinyl and double-check! 8) But otherwise, I'm drawing a blank too. If a title pops into my head I'll post back with it.

Cheers!

Yeah, I also remember that there were LOADS of songs that used that sound in the days... But I can't remember the names. And I tried to find from youtube, but no luck really...

I hope some titles will pop into your head :wink:

'Ring My Bell'

classic disco tune with SynDrums (or...'spoooze' as we used to call them".

had a client back then that wanted "you know..those coool sounds that go down in pitch like 'spoooze, spoooze, spooooze' when you hit them!"

(use your imagination...you'lll get it...hhahahaha)

=

• 4 years later...
'Ring My Bell'

had a client back then that wanted "you know..those coool sounds that go down in pitch like 'spoooze, spoooze, spooooze' when you hit them!"

=

Thisthisthis!

Though there's a mix that lacks the syndrums which was quite a disappointment to listen to.

'Ring My Bell'

=

Thisthisthis!

Though there's a mix that lacks the syndrums which was quite a disappointment to listen to.

:?: :?: :?:

I don't understand a thing of this exchange... what are you two talking about? Spooze + imagination = haha? Huh?

"Thisthisthis"

Whatwhatwhat?

"there's a mix"...

where? where?

"that lacks the syndrums"

aren't there tons of mixes without syndrums?

"...that was a disappointment to listen to."

Yeah, but what mix? And where did you disappointedly listen to it?

And what's with the "s"? There's no "s" in the sound of syntoms. They do "pyew", "peaw" or "pyoow". Not "spooze". Tsk.

I should get out more.

Ahh, thanks for (piew!) claryfying (pyoow - peawpeaw!).

Back in the time when it was a hit I somehow always confused it with Gloria Gaynors' "I will survive". Which is weird, as they're pretty different.

Sofar I like that 12" mix. It's very punchy. It's the celeste in the chorus that ruins it a bit, but luckily the bariton-chipmunk "Aaaah!" is irresistable.

But, at 4 minutes in, the charm has worn off. So I'll post now.

:mrgreen:

• 5 years later...
  • 4 years later...

For our viewers 15 years in the future on Logic X (10.7.5) and macOS Monterey (12.6.1) , the paths are now

$HOME/Music/Audio Music Apps/Plug-In Settings/Sampler (R.I.P. EXS24)

$HOME/Music/Audio Music Apps/Plug-In Settings/ES2

and these settings still work!  Thanks to the OP for asking the question and ski for producing usable examples!  Bonus "thanks" to David!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, olavsu1 said:

it's  /users/YourUserName

it's same in all unix like systems.

In most shells (and certainly the default ones), you can use $HOME and it magically works.  If you're more included to use Finder, refer to David's post above.

macsv2:ES2 hat$ pwd
/Users/hat/Music/Audio Music Apps/Plug-In Settings/ES2
macsv2:ES2 hat$ cd $HOME
macsv2:~ hat$ pwd
/Users/hat

On 1/14/2023 at 2:55 AM, des99 said:

I find “~” is the most efficient shortcut to represent the user’s home directory…

~ is the user who just logged in from this console. for some other same computer users, his name goes by next of the badge. like: ~someone.

http://yourdomain.com/~you   is your httpd  dir in your $home //how exactly, depends on the benevolence of the your system admin.

- is root user.  try   su -   what happen?

In case the context of my above comment wasn't clear, I'll expound:-

I'm aware how this works from using Unix computer accounts at my university and making web sites in the early 90s, but in the context of its use in paths in a Logic Pro Help forum thread, it's just a shortcut to easily differentiate, and go to in Finder, the Library that's in the user's home folder, rather than the one in the root.

As the tilde's role may not be known (or even noticed sometimes), I usually also spell out the full path along the lines of "/Users/*you*/Library/" etc if I think the person is likely to not be familiar with these kind of concepts, but in some ways it's less useful as someone just blindly typing this path as is in the Finder's Go menu isn't going to get success, unlike the tilde variant, which doesn't require knowledge of the user's account name.

Any further detail or complexity isn't generally required in this context...

Edited by des99

I agree with the principle of spelling-out explicit paths, and would not be surprised if the software did it for you.  Things like "~" and "$HOME" are good to use in the command-shell environment but MacOS does different things when launching an "Application," which in their system is a package.  They really don't quite launch things under "a shell."

Edited by MikeRobinson

Fun thing to remember about those "syndrums" – back in the 70's and early 80's where "microprocessors" were eight-bit at best, ran at a clock rate of a few kilohertz (kHz), and cost hundreds or thousands of dollars.  "Memory chips" were the biggest limitation – tiny and slow – but they were what we had, then, so we used them anyway.  "Software synthesis" was an impossibility, and "sampling" was barely getting started.  (The "Mellotron" was still "a thing.")  If you wanted to generate sounds, you had to build dedicated sound chips ... and you did.

MIDI was a brand-new idea that still had to use microphone jacks to get from the sound stage to the control room.  ("Cat-5" wasn't here yet – if you had a "local area network" in your office, it used coax. Certainly not "wireless.")  Fortunately for all of us, the original designers of the MIDI spec did a damned good job of it ...

These now-primitive devices were "the latest thing."  We scraped up our many hundreds of dollars from somewhere.  We bought them.  And, we used them.  (Then we memorialized their sounds in modern synth patches ... and, every day, you still hear recently-produced pop music which uses once again "that snare sound." Yes, "that very one." The "808 drum!")

And yet, professional musicians did spend $100,000 or more for custom-made "Fairlights" and "Synclaviers," and as I pored over issues of "[Contemporary] Keyboard" magazine, I lusted after all of them but never could persuade my dad to buy one for his teenage son.  Never imagining that one day – at least, certainly not in my lifetime – you would have access to far more power on an ordinary Mac (or PC), or even on a phone.

Hang on for the rest of the ride, people.  "Moore's Law" shows no sign of stopping ... and as for me: "I wouldn't have miss-ed it for the-world ..."

Edited by MikeRobinson

7 hours ago, MikeRobinson said:

I agree with the principle of spelling-out explicit paths, and would not be surprised if the software did it for you.  Things like "~" and "$HOME" are good to use in the command-shell environment

I mainly type $HOME since not users on all Macs have their home folder under /Users.  😬

A moment of silence for all those university students who tried to follow some tutorial they found but had NFS mounted homes in some bizarre location other than /Users thanks to their IT department.

Strangely enough, I just realized that ~ works in Finder but $HOME doesn't.  😞