MIDI Note C0 constantly plays itself

darkecho

• 2 weeks later...

This is still happening, every project now.. the only way I can get it to stop is to do the reset all midi and then make a new instrument track (and delete it) then I can go back to my original instrument track and it wont play the notes anymore.

Does anyone else have a problem like this? It's super annoying and just started happening all of a sudden.. Because it happens in every project, I think its some sort of Logic-wide preference.

Steve and David, thanks for the responses!

David, you are right on the money. When I unplug my faderport, then click on another track, the sound stops. If I plug the faderport back in, the sound starts again (until I do the said procedure).

I wonder what could be causing this... It never used to happen.

Also- when I unplug the faderport, I get two of the same message:

"Device "FaderPort" is assigned to MIDI Port "FaderPort" which is not present"

I click ok to one, then the same thing pops up again, almost like the faderport has been installed twice or something, is this normal?

I think maybe I should uninstall the faderport and try again, maybe there is something wrong with the install.. Also- the faderport usually doesn't work consistently, I have to reset all MIDI drivers to get it to function.

Is there a file I can delete that controls the control surface installations?

Thanks so much!

Another really weird behavior is that when I turn on my MIDI keyboard, the fader for whatever track I am on goes up to +6....

weird.

It's probably not weird at all! 8) If you have a controller assigned to CC#7 on that keyboard, when you turn it on, the keyboard scans all of the controls and outputs the MIDI value for each one. So if that control is set all the way up (value = 127), that value will be transmitted to Logic and bang up the fader of whatever channel is currently selected.

I'll bet the same thing would happen with the modwheel on your controller. Turn off the keyboard. Create a track with an EXS-24, but don't load up any sound. Turn up the modwheel, and turn down the volume slider on your controller halfway. Now turn the keyboard on. I'll bet you'll see the fader bang down to half volume, and, the sound will have vibrato.

My midi controller doesnt have a volume slider, I tried turning the keyboard on and off with the modwheel in various locations but nothing changed on the track.

I'm not sure what's going on, but I don't like it... is there a preference I can change to where the keyboard doesnt submit controller data like track-fader or anything when I turn it on?

Also, I am still having the issue where an inst. track will automatically play the low C notes...

My midi controller doesnt have a volume slider, I tried turning the keyboard on and off with the modwheel in various locations but nothing changed on the track.

I'm not sure what's going on, but I don't like it... is there a preference I can change to where the keyboard doesnt submit controller data like track-fader or anything when I turn it on?

Well, that's very very odd. I wouldn't have expected a keyboard without a MIDI volume slider to output CC#7 and affect the fader. But anyway, this doesn't sound to me like a Logic issue. Now... is there some reason why you have to turn on the keyboard while Logic is up and running? Can't you just leave it on? Or, if there's some reason why you absolutely have to keep turning it on and off, can't you just turn it on before you boot Logic?

Which keyboard is it?

The C0 problem smacks of some kind of MMC (MIDI machine control) message being transmitted from somewhere, but I can't be sure.

I'll see about leaving it on, but I have a feeling that the C0 is being caused by the Faderport. I generally turn everything off when done and I usually don't remember to turn the keyboard on until I am in Logic, but I think the only side-effect of the keyboard (Studio Logic SL990 XP) is the fader jumping up to +6.

I'll do further testing to find out more specific circumstances.

You'll need to trouble shoot a bit. Try only using 1 of your midi devices at a time (faderport or Keyboard) to isolate which is causing what.

Watch what device is tranmitting which midi devices. This utility (or similar) will help to see the data.

http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/downloads.php/id/119/software/MIDI-Monitor/

But...Sounds to me like you need to edit your Keyboards(and/ or faderort) midi assignments.

Eg.. which knobs/ faders transmit which CC#.

if the whole Keyboard sends midi data when powered up (like a snapshot of all assignments) - then try to turn this off in the Keyboards settings.

If your keyboard (or Faderport) has a knob/fader sending Note messages (and your not adjusting the knob/fader) - then the keyboard might be sending a Note On message (like note C0) without a Note Off. Hence a contiuously playing low note on whatever plugin you have selected.

Make sure your keyboard does not send or use CC#7 (logic's channel volume) and CC# 10 (logic's channel pan), IF you do not want to be affecting the Channel volume & pan of whichever channel is selected in Logic (like you are now).

I use a spreadsheet program (Numbers) to map out my CC# assignments for my plugins - then program them into my Controller (Novation Remote 25) and midi learn them unto the plugins. Really helps to keep things consistent - ie having all filter CC being the same for most plugins means I can change instruments and keep the same midi data for Regions.

Good luck

• 1 year later...
I generally turn everything off when done and I usually don't remember to turn the keyboard on until I am in Logic, but I think the only side-effect of the keyboard (Studio Logic SL990 XP) is the fader jumping up to +6.

My ASR-10 does the same thing as your setup - if I turn it on and load my "MIDI skeleton" instrument while running Logic, the selected track gets panned hard left!

Here's what I did as a timesaver and "memory aid" :wink: : Use power strips. Ideally, get one with separate rocker switches per input. Label them and leave all the crucial stuff switched on, and then use the master switch to power up/down. You can get very nice power strips with built-in conditioning and so forth, e.g. by Furman. (I got an old monitor-stand style one, plus a hefty UPS unit, for free from a company that was going out of business.)

Streamlining your startup is pretty key. But also, eventually it's second nature.

• 10 years later...

I do not have the same note playing, however I have the C-2 note constantly activating

I have no keyboards or devices connected either

I do have a KK49 Mk1, however that was removed, along with my Palette Fader controller and Yamaha keyboards with pedals

Yet, Logic is still triggering this note, even after resetting the MIDI settings clicking in the transport bar

Please advise,

Christopher

Do you have a HUI-format control surface installed? HUI devices use the C-2 note as a regular "heartbeat" to confirm the device is still alive.

It *shouldn't* be shown in the transport (this *shouldn't* show control surface MIDI traffic) but it does, it's annoying, and no, short of removing the HUI device, there's not much you can do about it (other than report the display of it as a bug).

Well, this is not a solution as such, just a way to verify the behaviour comes from the control surface handling. With them bypassed, you won't be able to use your control surfaces, which is of course not optimal.

So, your general choice is to stop using/uninstall the HUI device, or live with Logic constantly displaying those heartbeat notes - which is what I have to do, but I wish this traffic would not be displayed as it is indeed annoying.