How to make tracks mono ?

Patrick Andrew

IS there a way to make everything mono?

Like output 1-2

And when loading audio vs instruments, only the audio gives a mono option?

I know I can use a the gainer plugin and set it to mono, but is there a way to set all channel strips to mono? Especially the instruments? (looking to conserve processing power and don't need stereo when playing live)

Thanks.

There's no way to do it that will conserve processing power.

Everything is processed in stereo. Dumping stereo effects will help.

Your best bet, like you said, is the gain plugin. I put a Mono/Stereo button on my layout just for that purpose--occasionally I'm running my rig mono, say at a church gig, and I like to have both channels summed.

JK

• 4 weeks later...
There's no way to do it that will conserve processing power.

Everything is processed in stereo. Dumping stereo effects will help.

Your best bet, like you said, is the gain plugin. I put a Mono/Stereo button on my layout just for that purpose--occasionally I'm running my rig mono, say at a church gig, and I like to have both channels summed.

JK

That's not entirely true. MS will try and keep a channel stereo if at some point a stereo plug-in was used. However, if you want, you can build a channel strip with no stereo plug-ins and it will become mono and it will use less CPU.

Try creating a channel, removing all plug-ins and starting from scratch. Not all plug-ins support mono, so you will need to limit yourself to using those which work in mono.

• 1 month later...